1005. Blood Waters of Dr. Z (1971)

Also known as Zaat and shot at Rainbow Springs, Green Cove Springs, and Marineland Florida, Blood Waters of Dr. Z (1971) lasted a month on location. Costing $50,000 in production and another $25,000 in advertising and film prints, this sci-fi horror movie drifted into the ranks of the worst filmmaking ever. Chewing Tobacco, No Love, Evil Crow Voiceover, Bass Lake, Brain Guy and Bobo performing in the nude. “Uh, theme music?”, “Please enjoy a fish anus”, “Throw him some coleslaw or lemon, he’ll run.” “Uh, I hate it when a fish goes down the wrong pipe” or “Thank you. That was brilliant”?

10 Likes

This film is so weird. I don’t know how to describe it, but it’s like it wasn’t really filmed, but someone’s mom recorded it from the audience, if that makes any sense.

9 Likes

Do any of you guys remember that one riff Servo said that sounded so dirty, yet hilarious?
The first time I heard of that said riff was during the Mindless Summer livestream, and when Servo said that one riff, I spat my water out (not really).

Not offhand. Which one? Give us a hint.

1 Like

Okay. I clearly remember Servo saying this:
“I need to simplify my INVALID WORD THAT STARTS WITH “M” ritual.”

2 Likes

A stream of consciousness you mean?

1 Like

That line truly is spit-take worthy.

1 Like

That might be giving it too much credit. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Evil Crow Voiceover.

6 Likes

Crow’s Chewing Tobacco.

2 Likes

That host segment is worth the cost of admission by itself.

2 Likes

I swear, that movie is browner in its palette than Attack on Titan. Is that part of Florida naturally brown, or did they just use substandard film stock?

6 Likes

Whenever I pour grease into an empty soda can I think of Crow’s Tobacco Juice brand pop. Then maybe I throw up in my mouth a little because I then think of someone accidentally drinking it. :nauseated_face:

The electronic music in this is pretty cool. I like the weird experimental psychedelic electronic music of the 50s and 60s. I seem to recall finding that the composer was still making music when I looked him up a few years ago.

I always laugh at the “I need another bowl of Zoloft” riff because I took it for years. It’s a sort of empowering myself by laughing at myself thing. And Dr. Z has “I want to speak to your manager” hair. Did he not know he could have used the power of being a jerk to customer service people to (fail to) take over the world?

This is one of the movies I saw before seeing the episode.

6 Likes

This is probably the most annoying episode in terms of horrible noises you have to endure. The “soundtrack” (aside from World War II Boy, which is genuinely good) is just god-awful. The riffing is funny, but the noises, I can’t handle them.

5 Likes

I truly cannot look at a squeegee without the line, “Ah yes, my friend the Squeegee! I loooove you,” popping into my head.

7 Likes

The way this movie made every human activity imaginable (driving, kissing, sitting in a boat, etc.) look skeevy and distasteful… that’s talent of a sort, I guess.

Also, am I wrong or is this the only movie where Best Brains had to bleep out the N-word? :nauseated_face: Wait. Maybe it was in Sidehackers, too.

Nothing wrong with the riffs. But… yeccchhh! They can’t really redeem this thing in any way.

5 Likes

Very much agreed. I really feel the host segments during this time were really good and damn funny.

2 Likes

The Opening Titles.

Ok, since none of you are going to say it, I will…

“Sargassum, weed of deceit…”

7 Likes

I mean, that’s what it calls itself, but can you trust it?

4 Likes