1010. It Lives By Night (1974)

It’s Alive and The Bat People are its alternate titles. So many monsters. So little time. Season 10 hearted mutations. Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders (1996), Blood Waters of Dr. Z (1971), Track of the Moon Beast (1976), It Lives By Night (1974), Horrors of Spider Island (1960). A man one minute and a mutant the next. No one stands a chance. Painting Day, Tactical Misdirection, Mary Tyler Moore, Rabies Shots, New Mustaches. “Someone three houses down runs a vacuum cleaner at night”, “Wow we’re gonna need spotters to watch this movie”, “The Left Eye of Laura Mars.” “Well the realtor is showing us a couple of caves… I guess I better get going” or “Well I changed my mind I’m back”?

8 Likes

A solid season 10 episode. What I remember most about this episode is Michael Pataki as the nosy sheriff. He was an underrated actor that really overdid it in The Sidehackers. He was also in a Rocky movie (I dont remember which one). Anyway, this one was plenty of fun with the bat biting our hero and turning him into a bat man (no pun intended).

6 Likes

As always, a great description Bruce. These old monster movies give me great Playsure (at least according to aunt Flavia)!

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember that one.

That’s always my first thought whenever someone mentions this one. It’s one of those forgotten episodes that I never think about unless it comes up in conversation, but I don’t know why. Is it just me?

3 Likes

Of the three Ineffectual Chump Becomes a Werebeast While Receiving Aggressive Emotional Support from His Paramour movies, this one has to be the most confounding. The manbeast transformations of Werewolf and Track of the Moon Beast make sense on their own terms, one coming from a supernatural source while the other goes a science fiction route. But this movie offers no justification. As far as the creative staff is concerned, getting bitten by a bat results in the victim turning into a werebat. No indication that it was radioactive bat or other such tomfoolery.

The circumstances leading up to the infection are nearly as stupid, as it starts when the two leads fall back during a cave tour so that they can have sex. I suppose lust-addled newlyweds might be capable of such poor judgment, but that sort of idiocy is more commonly associated with teens.

Another issue is that none of the major characters are particularly likable or sympathetic. Once John realizes what has happened to him, he takes on an attitude that borders on sociopathic. Cathy is just kind of grating and useless. As for Sergeant Ward, his sleaziness and obvious stalking of Cathy is quite repulsive.

One possibly intriguing aspect of these three werebeast films is that they link into a circle of sorts. Werewolf and Moon Beast have their ineffectual chump named Paul. Moon Beast and IT Lives by Night have their aggressively supportive paramour named Cathy. Finally, IT Lives by Night and Werewolf have the paramour become a werebeast as well, with the strong implication that it was sexually transmitted.

6 Likes

Sexually transmitted therianthropy is no joke. Think about it, won’t we?

3 Likes

I always get this one mixed up with Track of the Moon Beast.

4 Likes

This episode is fine. I don’t return to it very much, but there are some good moments in it.

I’ve never looked up the director, but I really get the feeling that most of their work was commercials. “Suzy Chapstick and her husband, RON Chapstick!”

In the scene at the gift shop where Sheriff Sleazebag confronts Dr. Jerkface, the latter looks startlingly like Paul Simon for a moment or two. I’m still surprised nobody riffed on that.

Oh, and I beg to differ with @Sitting_Duck : the bats are likeable and sympathetic. Bats are cute and hard workers, and it sucks (!!!) seeing them abused in this movie. Come to think of it, that’s probably the main reason I don’t rewatch it much.

4 Likes

Who are we?

Bats!

What do we want?

Respect for being so cute and awesome!

6 Likes

Mary Tyler Moore.

4 Likes

You know they were walking through mountains of bat poop in that cave…

5 Likes

Huh.

I’ve seen this movie as The Bat People. In the past year, I believe.

I did not know it had been riffed.

I mostly recall it for the fact that the protagonists were actually married.

3 Likes

Similarly I heard of this as The Bat People and it dawned on me later It Lives By Night (1974) was the same movie.

3 Likes

Interestingly enough, you changed or deleted your post as I was posting a reply and my reply vanished! :ghost:

1 Like

Sorry. Wasn’t intentional. :wink:

1 Like

You know, I was convinced for quite a while that Dr. Groovy and Dr. Ted Nelson were played by the same actor.

I don’t believe that is true! But, both pale angular men with non-regulation haircuts.

I think I could convince a gullible subject to watch both experiments and convince her that they are the same, however.

If only I knew a woman who drinks a lot, and likes to laugh, and would be up for that…hmmmm…

Oh, the time I convinced a girlfriend that Blair Witch was a real documentary while watching it in the theater…she was kind of irritated at me for a while afterwards when she discovered the truth.

I think it’s fun! Not sadistic or cruel!

Laughs will be had by all! That’s a first date winner!

2 Likes

I was convinced that both Logan and Mathias in Beyond Atlantis were portrayed by Robert Reed instead of John Ashley and Patrick Wayne respectively.

2 Likes

I was convinced for a long time that Sir Patrick (The Magic Sword) and Derek (Teenagers From Outer Space) were the same guy. Not just because of how they looked, but also how they sounded.

3 Likes

The rare MST3K Ted Knight reference!

4 Likes

I finally got to watch this one recently, very very strange and slow paced movie. It was all worth it when Crow figured out how the wife got infected at the end.

4 Likes