1101. Reptilicus (1961)

Seventeen and a half years passed between Seasons 10 and 11. A bulk of us hadn’t a clue it would ever be back or that the father of modern film riffing Joel Hodgson might be its face. In a month of crowdfunding, the Kickstarter and Backer Add-Ons raised 6.3 million collectively and on December 11th, 2015, we had money for 14 new episodes of MST. A year and change of work resulted and in February and March 2017 Red Carpet Screenings of Reptilicus (1961) played to select backers in NYC, Chicago, and LA and all 14 episodes of Season 11 premiered April 14th, 2017 on Netflix. Gizmonic Institute, The Show Trap, the host starring in the opener, Reptilicus revived are beloved MST and paved the road to three more seasons. “Don’t cross the streams Venkman!”, " You know Jonah, Diarrhea is a storm raging inside you", “I was slicing up some tail late one night…” Flying Servo, “Every Country Has A Monster”, TV’s Son of TV’s Frank. Overhaul or as I remember?

4 Likes

As I saw this one at the live show, I am very biased toward it. At the same time, a re-view can’t really capture the excitement of being there.

It’s a simple thing, but I was blown away by Gypsy’s in-movie appearance: “And now you’re mister filing cabinet!”

10 Likes

“Every Country Has A Monster” is fine, but it isn’t as great as so many make it out to be.

There, I said it.

5 Likes

Said this a long time ago in another thread, but this episode’s “Danish Navy” riff pretty much replaced the Village People’s “In The Navy” entirely for me. :rofl:

4 Likes

I have met someone who was disappointed at the musical numbers having been removed from Repitilicus. Having never seen it uncut I can’t make a call, but do you miss the songs cut from the film?

2 Likes

THERE WERE SONGS?!

I don’t remember that from the comic book…

3 Likes

I remember seeing this movie as a child and don’t remember any songs but there is a fantastic sequence where they simply take a break from fighting Reptilicus and spend 10 minutes of screen time enjoying all the sights lovely Copenhagen has to offer. I was kinda bummed that they cut it from the MST version.

9 Likes

saw it at the NYC premiere. Took a bus from DC (4.5 hours) the day of and then took the bus home after the show. I was pressed for time and didn’t have money to stay the night. It was my first time in NYC and a magical day.

Besides the show my favorite memory was walking through central park and recognizing the church that the stay puft marshmallow man steps on in Ghostbusters.

It was exciting to see the premiere but I had a hard time relaxing and laughing. I was too nervous about it all working and what folks would think.

I liked the Dennis Miller riff and You can’t do that on television riff the most.

on rewatches I think it’s just too densly packed with riffs. I generally love S11 and don’t find the riffs too fast in many of the episodes… but it’s way too much on this one.

Movie is also pretty dull for what it is. I much prefer Yongary from S11. It’s a naturally more charming and funny film.

Not a fav episode but I often watch the opening segment (jonah’s intro) and Every country has a monster is a best of all time musical skit. It really is incredible put together and they deserve all the kudos.

5 Likes

In regards to Reptilicus, there’s at least one US release of the movie in which the musical numbers are cut. Not sure how many releases actually leave the music in

5 Likes

Now I’ve got a mental image of Reptilicus putting on an old straw boater, picking up a cane, and doing a little tap dance. And it’s sad because the actual musical numbers will never live up to that image.

2 Likes

Why am I reminded of Spaceballs (1987)? “Hello my baby!!!” “Hello my honey!!!”

8 Likes

That’s pretty much where my brain went. It’s not unusual for it to default to Mel Brooks.

3 Likes

I agree with you but will respectfully contend that’s what stands out and makes it unique. The attempt to recreate and redefine the show and how successful it is even before the fine-tuning. The hyper-aggressive wisecracks are now Reptilicus (1961). It’s its own style and like Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996) it’s almost its own thing altogether and I like that.

2 Likes

P.S. Terrific story. I wanted to visit that church in NYC one day. Would love to have attended the premiere. I avoid going to big cities and that ruled it out. Warts and all, I deem Reptilicus (1961) highly rewatchable for some reason. Perhaps the amount of energy and commitment infused into it, Joel remarked around then he tweaked 1101 to death wanting it to be just right. On the whole, I believe he managed that though improvement would hit and almost immediately given 1102.

2 Likes

We interrupt Reptilicus, already in progress, to bring you Copenhagen: The Movie

6 Likes

The annoyed corrections to every step of the general’s plan is one of my favorite running gags the show ever did.

4 Likes

In looking for the song, I found Reptilicus flying:

Ahhhh. Here it is:

1 Like

First thoughts: My anxiety was sky high going into this. Here it is: The show I was convinced was never coming back is now here for real. Deep breath, hit Play and when I saw the words “TURN DOWN YOUR LIGHTS (Where Applicable)”, I was instantly calm.

That said: I think I missed quite a few riffs at first because I was constantly in a state of awe and thinking to myself: “What was I ever so worried about?” :slightly_smiling_face:

On the episode proper: It’s a great start to the new era! The enthusiasm is really on display here!

And yes, any lingering doubts were completely gone after Every Country Has a Monster! :smiley:

4 Likes

Note: Squirm (1976) and Reptilicus are the exceptions to my rule. I rarely dive into inspiration ahead of savoring the outcome. These two I owned in advance and I plumbed their depths ahead of Mike and Jonah doing their thing. Squirm suffered once I soaked it in and Reptilicus I loved even more riffed. Go figure. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Every Country Has A Monster.

2 Likes