1102. Cry Wilderness (1987)

Buzzing in the wake of Reptilicus (1961), I binged on. Turkey Theremin, Carvel Ice Cream Clock, Cry Wilderness Cereal, Red Crow stealing Jonah’s Backjack. The care put into it read off every line. Joel Era Mystery Science alive and well modernized to today. “The last Borders Bookstore customer”, “BANG!”, “Alfred Hitchcock’s The Bird.” A sequel to Pod People (1983) or The Legend Continues?

10 Likes

BANG!

10 Likes

OK. Wilderness!

This is a real highlight of season 11. I think Starcrash and the Lost Wizards movies beat it to my top places, but it’s still really good. It’s one of those bafflingly weird movies that you can’t help thinking might have been made by Hugh Man the totally normal human director, who makes films for enjoyment by normal humans.

12 Likes

I’m more of a lamprey guy, myself.

4 Likes

It grieves me to report this: but these movies were a dime a dozen in the 1970s. They didn’t seem weird because they were ubiquitous. While I never saw this one in a theater, I saw others like it. The Wilderness Family. The Bears And I. Who knows how many more were so spectacularly unmemorable that I couldn’t even hold on to their titles? :woozy_face:

You could probably get a whole season’s worth of riffing from this single subgenre of old-time kiddie fare. Not that you’d want to.

Anyway, yes. It’s a good episode.

14 Likes

Part of the running and somewhat disturbing motif of people laughing in scenes long after the point where it’s comfortable or anything other than the face of insanity revealing itself.

9 Likes

This was the exact episode I became a huge fan of Jonah and his Bots.

Reptilicus was good, and included some excellent segments (including one of the all-time greats), but this film/riff/episode is legitimately an all-time favorite for me.

9 Likes

Can confirm. This is what E.T. knockoffs replaced, really. Before kids had adventures with friendly space aliens (or dubiously friendly ones like stumpy) they were hanging out with Bigfoot or other woodland creatures.

8 Likes

If you insist…

4 Likes

My favorite of Season 11. An instant classic. Reduced to sentence fragments. Overcome with giggles.

6 Likes

this was the episode that I knew the show was going to be awesome. Everything came together perfectly. Laughed my butt off the whole time.

It’s a best of all time episode for me.

8 Likes

This speech is my recital
I think it’s very vital
To rock a rhyme that’s right on time
It’s Tricky is the title HERE WE GOooh sorry you’re trying to sleep…

12 Likes

Cry Wilderness (1987) really is this generations Pod People (1983). Yucky 80s family film Meets MST3K. A kid and his monster, the vast wilderness, the 80s, the adults on another planet from reality (or the film’s reality), three onlookers perplexed by what they’re watching. Joel chose such an optimal selection not only to riff but locate that essence of the show again and he found it and Season 11 ran from there.

8 Likes

The part of this movie I just can’t wrap my head around is how it acts like it’s a sequel to a movie that doesn’t really exist, with the kid going on about how he already had an adventure with Bigfoot.

8 Likes

And it wasn’t just kids, either.

8 Likes

This is really, really good! This movie is so out there and is always giving Jonah and The Bots something to work.

I think this would a great choice for any potential newcomer or recruit if you wanted to start them with something with more up-to-date references.

5 Likes

As any MSTie should know!

7 Likes

The first stone cold classic of the new era and as sure a sign as any the show was in good hands. It is up there with Manos, Pod People, Space Mutiny, you name it. I cannot get through the first 10-15 mins alone without being unable to breathe.

6 Likes

I think it took until the third viewing for me to truly appreciate how bonkers the end credits song is.

12 Likes

The weird thing is I can’t find anything on the name of the song or who sung it.

4 Likes