1103. The Time Travelers (1964)

“Ib Melchior? The man behind Reptilicus?” Yes Jonah. Who else? A bunch of lame scientists and a wormy sidekick are stranded in the future. Dr Crow’s Edible Silica Packets, Afterlife Alert, Seminar on Time Safety, Jonah constructing a new line of robots. Is this 1993? “Aah! Right in the Ketchup packet!”, “Somewhere out there!”, “Ladies and Gentlemen… The Blandtastic Four.” “MERRY ANDERS!!! ONE AND ALL!!!” or “You are watching the Venetian Blinds Channel”?

7 Likes

This one’s worth watching just for the practical effects and to see Jonah geeking out over them.

4 Likes

The time portal safety drill is a particular favorite. I’ve suffered through more than my fair share of workplace safety lectures which employ tortured acronyms to illustrate the point.

3 Likes

The Interstellar (2014) riff is SO ON POINT. As a reference and a comment on the experiment.

Servo: “It’s called Interstellar. It’s got a very similar plot, but Matthew McConaughey’s in it. And Matt Damon. Lots of big stars. I think you’ll like it. And once again Christopher Nolan entertains without underestimating the audience’s intelligence. Sure, the ending’s a bit iffy, but the effects are amazing. All shot and finished on film.”

2 Likes

“When did this switch from a movie to a training video for a job that doesn’t exist?”

3 Likes

This is a fun, solid experiment. You can really see everyone start to settle-in at this point.

And I agree that one of the best moments is Jonah geeking out over the special effects!

3 Likes

For some reason the one riff from this movie that sticks with me is when Jonah says something like “Come on, get a move on, this isn’t the take-your-time-travelers, OUUH!”

3 Likes

Ro-batch

3 Likes

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:Ib Melchoir?
:robot:Yes, that is my human name, why?!

3 Likes

Trailer.