1103. The Time Travelers (1964)

“Ib Melchior? The man behind Reptilicus?” Yes Jonah. Who else? A bunch of lame scientists and a wormy sidekick are stranded in the future. Dr Crow’s Edible Silica Packets, Afterlife Alert, Seminar on Time Safety, Jonah constructing a new line of robots. Is this 1993? “Aah! Right in the Ketchup packet!”, “Somewhere out there!”, “Ladies and Gentlemen… The Blandtastic Four.” “MERRY ANDERS!!! ONE AND ALL!!!” or “You are watching the Venetian Blinds Channel”?

8 Likes

This one’s worth watching just for the practical effects and to see Jonah geeking out over them.

4 Likes

The time portal safety drill is a particular favorite. I’ve suffered through more than my fair share of workplace safety lectures which employ tortured acronyms to illustrate the point.

3 Likes

The Interstellar (2014) riff is SO ON POINT. As a reference and a comment on the experiment.

Servo: “It’s called Interstellar. It’s got a very similar plot, but Matthew McConaughey’s in it. And Matt Damon. Lots of big stars. I think you’ll like it. And once again Christopher Nolan entertains without underestimating the audience’s intelligence. Sure, the ending’s a bit iffy, but the effects are amazing. All shot and finished on film.”

3 Likes

“When did this switch from a movie to a training video for a job that doesn’t exist?”

5 Likes

This is a fun, solid experiment. You can really see everyone start to settle-in at this point.

And I agree that one of the best moments is Jonah geeking out over the special effects!

3 Likes

For some reason the one riff from this movie that sticks with me is when Jonah says something like “Come on, get a move on, this isn’t the take-your-time-travelers, OUUH!”

3 Likes

Ro-batch

3 Likes

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:Ib Melchoir?
:robot:Yes, that is my human name, why?!

4 Likes

Trailer.

1 Like

I love the running gag about Varno’s weirdo sexuality, made all the better by the fact that there’s almost nothing in the movie to hang it on.

1 Like

The actor who plays Varno is John Hoyt. A face plenty of MSTies identify from Lost Continent (1951).

1 Like

@optiMSTie A forgotten experiment in Season 11? I rarely hear much said on it.

3 Likes

It’s kind of weird that they edited out the movie’s actual ending.

I’ve never seen them do that before and am sincerely puzzled by it.

What was it? I had to look it up. A time loop montage of some sort?

2 Likes

A wonderful close to the events. Almost a short onto itself. You think the normal editing process of an experiment found a shortcut here? And they removed this tied to its redundancy? It could have been a great opportunity to comment but that would mean something else in the movie would go. One of those creative choices we won’t always agree with.

2 Likes

I could see that being the case, if you look at how the season’s regarded. Just to hit the big highlights:

• Reptilicus was all about the grand return
  • Cry Wilderness was praised as a new gem
  • Avalanche had that star power AND Neil Patrick Harris
  • Starcrash had that Star Wars vibe AND an appearance from Jerry Seinfeld
  • Carnival Magic had a Manos-level oddity of a movie AND a Mark Hamill song from the Frozen song guy
  • The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t was talked up and down for being a Christmas episode
  • ALL THAT STUFF happened in the finale for At the Earth’s Core

So, yeah, it’d be easy to see The Time Travelers get lost in the shuffle, but that would be undeservedly so. Out of all the movies done in Season 11, that one felt most like it could’ve been at home during the Sci-Fi Channel era.

The movie’s dumb as hell, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a comforting, enjoyable kind of dumb-as-hell.

5 Likes

You’re right Bruce. An underrated episode from season 10. I really think this is where Jonah and the Bots hit their stride. The movie is actually decent, but at the same time it’s cheesy. That ALWAYS makes for a good episode. Although Carnival Magic is my favorite season 10 episode, this one I think really established that Mst3K was back!

3 Likes

Psssst. Season 11.

3 Likes