1107. The Land That Time Forgot (1974)

The Robinsons become the Marshall Family. Co-financed by American International Pictures and starring Doug McClure, John McEnery, Susan Penhaligon, Keith Barron, and Anthony Ainley, The Land That Time Forgot (1974) emerged as the first of three Edgar Rice Burroughs adaptations by Amicus Productions. Shot at Shepperton Studios for 16 weeks, hand puppets were used on the creatures to produce fine detail and a greater fluid motion to the dinosaurs. A small VistaVision camera recorded the monster background plates and everything filmed front projection. Gypsy’s Birthday, M. Night Shyamalan Living, the Elder Pump, the SOL as a submarine, Moon 14 Ranch BBQ. “Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away”, “Oh, Okay, Buddy. All right, just let the Orinoco Flow”, “You know, not enough titles use Jimi Hendrix font.” “Wow, this soundtrack’s really working overtime” or “UNDER PRESSURE!!!”?

4 Likes

P.S. This is on 1107 directly not Edgar Rice Burrough’s writings in general or Victorian era adventure stories. Any comment is welcome only another thread exists already with that focus and this is dedicated to the episode and movie of the title.

2 Likes

Mesozoic Ranch Dinosaur BBQ.

5 Likes

Without the goatee, it’s difficult to realize that the evil XO is also the Master from the 1980s Doctor Who serials and I don’t blame them for not picking him out. Though it’s a shame, as some Time-Flight based riffs would have been perfect. However, if you have pictures of Ainley in the two roles side by side, the resemblance just pops out.

3 Likes

One of the my favorites of season 11 and, no it has nothing to do with the fact that I saw this in the theater at the age of seven and was terribly disappointed because the poster was sooooo cool and, then, I get puppets - puppets! - when I was expecting something like the stop-motion dinosaurs that I’d seen on late night TV movies and…

…no, I’m not bitter.

1 Like

I watched this movie repeatedly in the late 80s and early 90s and also got really into Doctor Who in the early 90s, and I never noticed until this MST3K episode that The Master was in this movie. Tween and early teen me never thought of the crossover of B movie and TV actors?

2 Likes