1109. Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967)

South Korea’s answer to Godzilla. Wedding, Itch Ray, “CAPSULE!!!”, Petroleum fills the monster’s needs. Watch out for Mr. Clean! He may hold the answer. Dream journal, Tiny Desk, Hitler Coffee, Astronauts’ Music Tastes, Yongary Nights. “This feels like the kind of music they play when Kirk goes to one of those make-out planets”, “Wait, it’s over? Did we just skip to the end of the movie?”, “Don’t Cry For Me South Korea!!!” “Wow that is a long title” or Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967)?

6 Likes

Tell me how to please push past the hurting!

6 Likes

I started getting back into this one and fortunately “Capsule!” isn’t quite as prevalent as I remember. I think this was a very solidly riffed episode, but a little of that gag went a long way for me. (Unlike “Bang!” which I could hear another 50 times)

4 Likes

The whole “upside down” bit gets me every time

3 Likes

Capsule!

5 Likes

One of my all time favorite riffs from Ichio (sp?)

“You suck and this place sucks and I’m outta here!

6 Likes

for my money this is the best kaiju episode the show has ever done. The riffing is strong, the final song is fantastic… and the movie… what a wonderful movie this is for the show. The perfect amount of eye candy (that print is great), charm, and tons of WTF with a truly climatic WTF ending with making yongary itch to death, they show him bleeding out of his butt, and then they suddenly feel sorry for the monster.

I love this episode. The riff pacing is a bit too fast on this one but overall a great one that I rewatch quite a bit.

4 Likes

this was definitley an episode that sold me on Baron at Tom.

‘dumb kid doesn’t realize the actor just took off the costume and left it on the ground.’

with all the condescending snark of the sci fi era but said in a way that kevin (or anyone else on this show) would never have said it.

glorious.

2 Likes

And it’s not caught up in weird copyright shenanigans.

3 Likes

“AND it’s Matthew Broderick-free!!”

6 Likes

“Capsule!” is chiefly in the first 30 minutes. Once the Monster Movie Proper arrives the utterance drops off.

1 Like

I can say, without bias or hyperbole, that Yongary might be the single greatest episode of MST3K of all time!

… The fact that my name is in the credits is purely coincidental.

6 Likes

And then its running on for as long as it does sets up for a payoff at the very end of the film.

2 Likes

I’m in the credits for this one, too. :smiley:

3 Likes

Considering how Ichio was dressed in his opening scenes, it’s a shame there weren’t any Detective Conan riffs (do a Google image search for Conan Edagawa and you’ll see what I mean).

3 Likes

We’re credit buddies!

3 Likes

Those kudos in Season 11 were amazing and truly special. Props to Joel, Ivan, and company on thinking of it.

2 Likes

I would like to chip in. On one of the livestreams, Ye Olde Baron Vaughn professed this to being a favourite but felt it never got the fan backing he felt it deserved. I’m with him on this, a very very strong episode. In my top ten episodes of all time ATM. S13 pending completion. :grin: But still a wonderfully written script to drag an average kaiju movie into a brilliant mst3k episode. Great performances all round. And , yes, the end scene isn’t going to win any awards, but has enough in reserve to make it a great. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

See, I disagree. Without the ending, you’d think this was just a Gamera clone and eventually forget about it, like how I mix up Wild Rebels and Hellcats. WITH the ending, though? That makes quite the impression.

2 Likes

Oh it leaves an impression, but does kind of isolate those who dislike the violence from it being rewatched and enjoyed on multiple viewings, and may fly under the radar for people who prefer Reptilicus or Cry wilderness for example. Not saying people can’t enjoy them all, just an opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like