1111. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II (1989)

At least the film didn’t pretend he was at all cool. Instead, it went “yep, this (broad gesture encompassing all of him) is your hero. Just go with it.”

6 Likes

I love this episode. Not quite top tier but very close. A perfect film for the show. Some real star power completely slumming it for a paycheck(with bonus tragic endings for Lana and David), insanely bad acting and writing, nonsensical loss of pants, tyor not being able to run, etc etc.

and the riffing is great.

5 Likes

I hardly even notice him. There’ve been so many more annoying kids in previous movies. He barely even registers for me.

4 Likes

you are assuming Corman or anyone involved in this gave a hoot about anything other than making a dime on a 4 week coke binge they shot in the forest and giving the production crews something to do in between bigger projects.

I love to bring up movies like this when they had the backlash against doing Asylum films like Atlantic Rim… (‘they know what they are making is bad!, it’s cynical filmmaking, they barely tried’)

It is simply nostalgia goggles that allow movies like Space Mutiny and this stinker to exist without any of those complaints being thrown at it. It’s the same stuff just different eras.

And they make for great episodes.

2 Likes

also Punt Bunnies are amazing.

5 Likes

The shop-and-compare thread for worst child actors. If you missed it previously:

4 Likes

Well there’s that. “Hello Roger Corman!” Much as Coleman Francis had a calling card, Corman did too. Sleaze and the inappropriate were his jam.

“'Tis passing strange”

“that’s phrasing odd”

gets a bark of laughter from me everytime.

4 Likes

Wizards Of The Lost Kingdom is one of the absolute gems of the Netflix era. Wizards Of The Lost Kingdom II… is a thing that exists. It’s a rough one to get through. And the “You Might Be A Crummy Wizard” sketch may be one of the worst sketches they’ve ever done.

The Dark One franchise restaurant orientation video sketch is pure gold, though.

2 Likes

i love this one so much from the netflix era.

“I’ll skoo-er ya! I’ll skoo-er ya all!” is my favorite riff.

2 Likes

On a loosely related note, Fred Ward just died.

Fred Ward Dead: ‘The Right Stuff,’ ‘Tremors’ Star Was 79 - Variety

2 Likes

Wizards I is good, but I like this one even better. Might have been a mistake to place them right next to each other instead of letting them bookend something that’s awful in a very different way, like Avalanche. Oh, well. :person_shrugging:

As before, they get a bit flummoxed by the amount of padding. However, when the action scenes are trying to be action-y (but are mostly incoherent) they really come through. :+1: Like @MattBlack , I don’t think the Crummy Wizard sketch lives up to its potential. But at least it goes by fast.

2 Likes

See, I thought that sketch felt like ETERNITY.

1 Like

lol. Well, I’m probably the only person who hates the Bobo-makes-a-sandwich sketch, or that thing in The Screaming Skull where Mike keeps clobbering Crow. In fact, I think I had a bad dream about it once, which is more than I can say about any of the nonsense in the actual movie. We can’t all be same.

1 Like

You clearly weren’t paying attention to all those old shorts. Conform, conform!

3 Likes

[raspberry] And I still think that the title character in The Snob was right about everything, too. Nyah!!

2 Likes

And Mike’s perpetual trip in Final Justice (1985)?

1 Like

No, that can stay. Pearl’s outburst is the perfect capper.

1 Like

No, you’re not the only one. When it first aired back in the '90s, I just sat there and stared at the screen wondering what the hell they thought they were doing.

I hate it a little bit less now, but only a little.

1 Like

Yeah, some of the Season 8 sketches go on way too long, because sometimes they used shorter movies (like the Corman pictures) but didn’t pair it up with a short film or two, so they had to pad things out. I’m specifically thinking of that time Tom Servo was being tested by the Observers.

2 Likes