1202. Atlantic Rim (2013)

A hot button choice. Newer movie, self-aware, The Asylum, Atlantic Rim (2013) is Pacific Rim (2013) only crappier. Inflatable Air-Dancer Organ, Supposi-Stories, “Get In Your Mech”, Military Frat-Boys, Jonah pouring out a drink for every soul who died. “Atlantic Rim? Could you be more Pacific?”, “It’s Crappy-Land. The world’s saddest most isolated amusement park!”, “So, who’s my designated driver?” “Did the ocean poop?” or is “This movie’s rigged”?

3 Likes

More pow pow badow per minute than any other movie on record.

4 Likes

its amazing how thin that line is between , ladies man and sexist pig

3 Likes

And yet, post robot wars, surprisingly effective in the awful movie world.

4 Likes

I used to go to a nightclub called Atlantic Rim, it burned down after someone drove a Kebab van into it.

MAKE A MOVIE OF THAT! HOLLYWOOD COWARDS!

10 Likes

More bang for buck. That’s for sure!

2 Likes

I would have preferred to watch that lol

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like this one. MST3K has done knockoffs before, but the Asylum’s stuff is entirely different. They make bad movies badly and that’s the joke, but just making it bad isn’t enough to make it SBIG. There has to be some degree of sincerity at some level. In Season 11 they actually called out that kind of filmmaking as a bad thing. With that in mind, I always wondered if this was a Netflix pick.

Anyway, not much more to say about this one that I haven’t said before. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That movie goes hard. I mean that in a loud and jarring way. It’s probably the most cacophonous, jolting movie in the MST3K canon, or at least a strong contender.

Anywho, “Go go, Dour Rangers!” is an all-timer of a riff, and the gang does such great stuff with Graham Greene there.

I am also ashamed of myself for laughing so hard at the Smash Mouth reference.

REAL TALK: “Get in Your Mech” is an absolute banger of a song, I don’t care what the Mads say.

Also, Growler playing “A Patrick Swayze Christmas” on the Inflatable Air-Dancer Organ warms my cold, dead, pulverized heart.

7 Likes

Man, it’s hot. I’m talking lava. :expressionless:

4 Likes

Also also, nothing but love for this movie incorporating Treach from Naughty by Nature.

2 Likes

Were there any Dances With Wolves (1990) riffs in this? I can’t recall any. Possibly I missed it.

2 Likes

I’ve not seen either movie enough to comment but thanks for the extra PTSD for making me remember dances with wolves haha

1 Like

It was like BA-BOOM! I said it, and I feel immediate shame. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Maybe they thought poor Graham Greene had suffered enough.

6 Likes

Possibly but in the Comedy Central days they would’ve gone for it.

4 Likes

I didn’t remember any, so I double-checked this episode’s Connections section over at the IMDB, and it doesn’t have any such riffs listed, so most likely not (unless there’s some stealth riff that flew over everyone’s heads).

2 Likes

They would have Lovejoy’d the HELL out of Dances with Wolves for such an episode.

4 Likes

Not to belabor the point in a thread that is only tangentially connected to that movie, but oh my gaaaaaaaaaawd, YES, that movie is… ehh. Kevin Costner’s narration is practically comatose.

It’s no Goodfellas, is what I’m saying.

1 Like

A bit less painful on re-watch, especially with the host segments providing relief. Just say to yourself, "At least it’s not Sharknado… At least it’s not Sharknado… "

3 Likes