1203. Lords of the Deep (1989)

One of the only S12 eps, along with Killer Fish, that really clicks for me. I love it. Any time you’ve got budget queen Priscilla Barnes (the Great Value Suzanne Somers/Karen Black) in a movie you’re in for a good time.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure it’s confirmed she’s back.

5 Likes

Oh, good! I love the character (especially in The Brain live show), and seeing as she’s played by Jonah’s wife it probably wasn’t too hard to talk her into coming back. :smiley:

4 Likes

The Bridget Nelson approach

7 Likes

Agreed.

4 Likes

Trailer.

2 Likes

D’awww… did you draw this? :+1:

2 Likes

No. I dug it up when looking for images of the movie. I used to draw heavily and it fit my tastes and I shared it.

2 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :smiley:

7 Likes

Do you know the artist’s name? I wanna’ look up their page if they have one.

4 Likes

Here’s a closeup of the signature.

4 Likes

I thought that was hers! That’s our very talented friend Jamie Hitchcock, aka smittygirl. Here’s her Twitter and Instagram.

8 Likes

O_O …
Um… I’m gonna go get some…

… and I won’t be back for… 2 months.

1 Like

Oooh, I’m digging the Gonzo and Uncle Deadly drawings, and I think we need to adopt Torgo getting slapped as the official Manos art.

5 Likes

I quite liked Lords of the Deep as a kid so this is an enjoyable episode.

3 Likes

I love this one for a few reasons.

Having the last name Barnes, I always liked Priscilla Barnes from Three’s Company and like her in this movie. But, like Gilligan’s Island, I prefer the brunette in this over her, much like MaryAnn over Ginger.

The riffs are amazing as well, with my favorite being “I’m sending it to daddy tomorrow.” I split a gut every time I hear that one.

I’m also watching it right now :smile:

6 Likes

A watchable and totally riffable gem from season 12! Corman rips off Abyss, Leviathan. Although, I thought I heard that this movie beat both of them to production. Season 12 really doesn’t have any duds! As a sports fan I noticed alot of familiar names being mentioned here. I mean Seaver, Stottlemyre, Dobler? Looks like Corman was looking up old box scores for his movie characters!:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I agree! There’s something about Melody Ryane that I found oddly alluring.:grin:

2 Likes

Loving Harry Potter. The “Oh, my horcrux!” line about killed me.

3 Likes

Hollywood is infamous for the incestuous nature of its creativity, which means that it’s not particularly unusual for two or more similarly themed movies to come out at about the same time. One of the more notorious examples that comes to mind is A Bug’s Life and Antz. The year 1989 saw no less than five science fiction and horror movies with an underwater setting (six if you want to count The Rift, which didn’t get released until 1990), with The Abyss being the most prominent of the lot. Of them, Lords of the Deep may be the weakest.

Like so many films screened on MST3K, character actions come about more to advance the plot rather than resulting from any sort of natural behavior. Particularly distracting is O’Neill, whose actor may be even more mush mouthed than Timothy Van Patten in the two Master Ninja pseudo-features.

I’ve got to say, Dobler’s cartoonish villainy along with McDowell’s sanctimonious posturing really pokes at my inner contrariness. Part of me dearly hopes the crewmembers “rescued” by the aliens either get eaten by them or they experience the old chestnut about how Hell is being locked in a room with your best friends.

Also the glorious introduction of Dr. Donna St. Phibes. Glad that she was kept on in Season 13. Loved her little features for the Vault Picks during Mega Monster Month. Who would have thought that the Eegah is most closely related to the giraffe?

5 Likes