13 new episodes.

So now that they will be revealing what the new movies will be, are you going to watch any of the movies first? I think I’m just going to go in blind (other than scoping out any trailers and reading imdb, of course).

7 Likes

I’m going in blind.

5 Likes

I’ll go in blind. Knowing the movies in advance does take a little bit of the mystery out, so not knowing the content of the films will keep it a surprise!

6 Likes

Gotta go in blind.

It would take away from the funhouse feel and flavor to see exactly what the featured movies are about before the gang riffs them!

5 Likes

Starting with 1301 and going from there. I can’t wait to see Emily host and to see Joel back in action. I’ve been a big fan of Jonah, Baron, and Hampton, so I’m exited all the way around!

5 Likes

:see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Not gonna lie - I already sought out and watched two of the three movies officially announced.

I had also seen a bunch of the movies from the initial 10 seasons before they were MSTed (through no fault of my own, but that’s another story), and never found that knowing what was coming detracted from my enjoyment. In fact, in some cases, it enhanced it.

4 Likes

Saw Gamera vs. Jiger as part of the fan production MST3K vs. Gamera: Round 2. Hope the official riffing won’t go on too much concerning Cornjob’s unfortunate facial hair.

3 Likes

I’m excited about the announcement and finding out what we’re seeing. But, I’ve got about 100 movies sitting here, in disc or streaming form, so my dance card (or viewing card?) is full.

As usual, some of them I’ll have already seen (Jiger) and some will be brand new, and that’s all part of the fun.

3 Likes

I’ll just wait and watch. :slight_smile: I’ve never seen any of the riffed movies before the episode. Some I’ve heard of but never watched.

3 Likes

I’ve usually seen 1-3 every season before they come out. I won’t watch any from this season before they air riffed.

2 Likes

Part of the fun is being surprised by the movie — not so much by the title as by whatever bizarre ineptness it contains. So I plan to wait for each episode.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a MST3K’d movie unriffed ahead of time, not even Mac and Me. So why start now? Bring alllll the glory on at once.

5 Likes

I won’t go out of my way to watch something before seeing it riffed, there are the rare moments when you see something on screen the first time and a joke pops into your head at the same time it comes from the riffers and that can be awesome. But there is also the anticipation of knowing how bad a movie is and looking forward to seeing what riffs people come up with. So it’s a 50/50 thing.

I had seen pretty much all of the Godzilla and Gamera movies several times as a kid. It seems like one of them was on TV every weekend throughout the 70s…

I had also seen This Island Earth several times before the MST3K movie.

During the Sci-Fi channel years there were more I had seen before vs. during the Comedy Channel/Central years.

2 Likes

I’ve never sought one out ahead of time. Most of what I had seen, was from my youth. Gamera and Godzilla, The Crawling Eye, Amazing Colossal Man.

Season 6 was all completely new, though I’d heard of a couple of them (Girls Town, Kitten). But with season 8 there were several - movies like Teenage Werewolf, Deadly Mantis, Revenge of the Creature, they were all creature feature fare. (and I’d even caught Memory Bank when it aired on PBS)

Netflix era had a couple drive-in movies (Earths Core, Land That Time Forgot)

2 Likes

I will undoubtedly end up watching trailers for any of the movies I’m unfamiliar with, but that’s all.

I expect I’ll have already seen between 2 to 4 of them anyways. At least that’s how it was for season 11 and 12. Possibly more than that, if this new season is leaning more towards classic public domain fare from the 1950’s and 60’s, which I’ve watched a crap-ton of over the years, rather than modern ‘Asylum Pictures’ nonsense, which I generally have no interest in.

Actually, I’ve already seen both Robot Wars and Gamera vs. Jiger, so I’m already 2 for 3 on the list of films that have been announced so far. I’d never heard of Demon Squad before Joel announced it last May, but I watched the trailer, and while it’s not something I’d choose to riff myself, I trust that they have faith they can make it work.

2 Likes

Going in blind–except for anything I may have seen already (e.g., Robot Wars).

1 Like

Like most folks here I won’t be seeking any out in advance, but there’s a good chance I’ve seen some of them already. Definitely the case with any Gamera film. And if they’ve picked up any old black-and-white Universal monster flick, high likelihood I’ve seen it as well.

2 Likes

I will let the fresh cheesiness wash over me like a new wave at the beach on a warm summer’s day. Or something. I’m going into it blind.

3 Likes

I do not plan to watch any of them in advance unless by chance I’ve already seen it somehow.

1 Like