1301- your thoughts

On Reddit, his original comment and his subsequent clarifications:

March 5th 1:50 pm EST: "Okay, I gotta hop in here because I think it’s important that people know this.

Regarding the doorway sequence, yes it’s been redesigned to better fit the look of the current show. But it HAD to be redesigned because Netflix refused to let us use any of our own assets! They’re being real jerks over there. It’s legal stuff that’s beyond my understanding but basically the MST3K producers did the noble thing and asked for permission and Netflix said, “Nope. You can’t use anything that’s on these episodes in your new ones.”

That may be more than you wanted to know, but I think it’s important people realize that Netflix is dumb."

March 6th 1:31 am EST: "To be honest, I don’t completely understand, as these discussions and decisions happen above my pay grade. But it was my understanding that we were maybe going to reuse the theme song/opening sequence and doorway sequence and they were like straight up, “No dice.” I don’t know if it’s the actual footage or the graphic assets or what.

But Joel’s right, with the changes in visual aesthetic, it might have been jarring to see the previous doorway sequence in an unaltered state. Maybe it’s for the best! Still a jerk move on their part though."

March 6th 12:56 pm: "I probably used the wrong term in my initial comment when I said we weren’t allowed to reuse any “assets.” I believe the issue was reusing footage. No direct reuse of footage was allowed. So Growler and M. Waverly are just fine and appear in the new season. They become a real buddy duo and it’s fantastic. And just wait until you see their new costumes.

Also keep in mind that I’m a baby idiot who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. And calibrate from there."

16 Likes