1301- your thoughts

(In best quibbling nerd voice) Excuse me, but Frankenstein was the doctor’s name. I think you mean to say, “I guess that makes me a real lumbering bolt-necked Frankenstein’s monster”. :point_left:t3:

You’re welcome.

5 Likes

bravo man… You nailed it. It’s such a giant improvement!

5 Likes

I kinda though Moon 13 was the original, but named that way as a tribute to Deep 13. So since Kinga and Max had to start over, they just started at 1. I could be completely wrong though.

4 Likes

Moon 1’s probably an old Gizmonic base that was left abandoned, which Kinga built her lair underneath.

Unrelated note, I’m nicknaming it “Moon Zero One.”

13 Likes

Watching it now. I was delighted when they found another Santo movie (thought FURY OF THE KARATE MASTERS would be even more of a delightfully deranged choice–hope that’s on the Season 14 wishlist) and that it’s a Rene Cardona movie (I recently saw one of his Blue Demon movies and it’s. . .yeah, it’s just as deranged as this was.)

I will never not marvel at the peculiar permanent 70’s-ness of Mexico in lucha libre movies. Everything looks like DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

The actual show is. . .well, it feels a bit of a course correction from the Netflix seasons–it’s back to that rough and ready charming cheapness that is MST3K at its most winning for me, the pace of riffs is a bit slower, and it feels more like people experiencing a bizarre and not very good movie rather than flinging jokes at it more often than not, so . . .yeah, I guess it won me over.

So, uh, thanks for reading my book report, I guess.

8 Likes

was inspired by the color edit to suggest my own for the movie flushing scenes.

I love the design of it but the colors of movie juice are really washed out and it’s too far away.

I humbly suggest a tweak similar to what I am showing here. I’m not a professional so I am sure someone could make this look way better than mine… but even still I think it’s a big step up.

22 Likes

There’s also multiple Toms too though.

2 Likes

Loved the show. The new set looks great. The riffs were good, and yes a better balance between movie and riffs would be great. The skits were a lot of fun and the star of the show was the wrestling skit. Crows impression of Randy Savage was spot on. Proud to be a backer of season 13!!

Mark

4 Likes

I’m gonna help you with your luggage brother!!!

Baron was on fire in that skit

5 Likes

So happy that the show is back! My joy outweighs any real negative thoughts, but here are some things that did stand out to me:

1. The audio needs to be normalized.
  2. The audio was out of sync
  3. the green screen stuck out like a sore thumb. I think it was more jarring because we got used to such crisp scenes and studio production on Netflix
  4. I missed the miniature modeling of the traditional "movie sign tunnel sequence. the green screen felt flat and didn’t feel special.

Other than that, I couldn’t be happier that MST3k is back!

5 Likes

Part of me was thinking, “Awwww, Pearl’s being nice, that’s so thoughtful!”

Part of me was also thinking, “Okay, wait. What’s your angle, Pearl?”

7 Likes

Fantastic, You nailed it! 100% better

5 Likes

First of all, I love that they’re back. We waited a long time, and with as many bumps as there were, I would’ve waited until everything looked and sounded great before any kind of premiere.

The technical difficulties getting started aside, that didn’t bother me at all. It’s an entirely new platform, so there’s BOUND to be a lot of problems. Those weren’t my issues.

The sound mixing throughout the movie was noticeably awful. The first time I watched it, I missed at least 30% of the jokes because other than Jonah, both bots had varying degrees of voice levels that were DROWNED out by everything Jonah said. I put my earbuds in, cranked the sound, and to my astonishment and delight, a fully-riffed movie existed on my phone.

The spots with Kinga and Max felt really forced, and the excess of WIGS on everyone was … slightly unsettling and weird. At least Jonah didn’t wear one. I mean, Max, Synthia AND Pearl? Three fifths of the cast were in terrible wigs, people. Am I the only one who noticed that?

BUT, they can remix the sound… strike that, they SHOULD remix the sound. They can finish the credits. They can finish these shows the right way. The wigs will most likely be here all season, and while I’ll do my best to ignore their impact, for me, Season 13 will be the season of the WIGS. Ugh

2 Likes

If it helps any audio d00d, the audio levels for ‘Samson vs Vampire Ladies’ is perfect. Use those levels. Call Mike if you forgot, he looks like he was around long enough to know lol

2 Likes

Watching the episode again, and the green screen stuff (especially for Jonah and the bots) somehow looks a lot better to me now. I think it was just different from the Netflix host segments (which is probably what I was subconsciously expecting), and now that I’m accepting it as its own thing, it looks pretty good! I take back my comments comparing it to the Star Wars prequels :slight_smile:

I do agree that the audio for the movie is really quiet, but I think that’s my only complaint now. Super hyped for the next episode!

4 Likes

mst3k507iaccusejoel

mst3k519fabio

It’s our proud MST3K heritage!

15 Likes
5 Likes

are we brothers?

3 Likes

Awesome job! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I really feel like a little more color correction and compositing work for the final cut of 1301 could make a HUGE difference!

7 Likes

I’m digging how much more involved Cambot is in Season 13. Feels like there’s been some real lore and characterization being added here.

(And apparently has quite the sizeable family!)

12 Likes