1301- your thoughts

I want a chupacabra-repelling belt buckle now.

9 Likes

Overall I thought it was great but was slightly out of sync in both my Apple TV and iPhone.

7 Likes

The Austin Powers riff over the psychedelic time travel spinning board thing was glorious.

17 Likes

I really enjoyed the episode, technical issues and all. The pace of the riffing felt more natural. I do miss having an actual, physical set for the performers to interact with. Not feeling the new theme, at all, but that’s not a huge deal.

Oh, and having that extra host segment back is much appreciated!

9 Likes

Watched it with the whole family. Both my wife and daughter fell asleep at different times but that’s because they wake up super early. Both were laughing throughout. My 11-year-old son loved it. He can’t wait for the Gizmoplex. He loved the tour that Ivan gave.

My thoughts as a lifelong mistie.

• It was weird seeing the budget drop from Netflix. Not bad - just weird. It honestly felt homier - more in line with the old show.

• I know people didn’t like the rapid-fire riffing from Netflix, but I actually enjoyed it. I always missed jokes so I got a lot of replay value. This new riffing gives more breathing room.

• Audio mix needs work (as mentioned)

• LOVED the intermission bits and all the custom ads. Was a nice breather from the movie. Really enjoyed the Q&A at the end.

• Not a fan of the green screens but I understand the limitations in the Covid era. I hope one day we can return to sets.

• I’m glad they removed the show breaks from the Netflix show. While it emulated the old show format, it was distracting. I’m glad those are gone now.

• Didn’t really like the movie on first watching. That will probably turn to endearment down the road.

• The live chat needs a slow mode. Chat is impossible to read with 3-4k people typing at once.

• I actually really like them dropping one episode per month. My son is already excited for Manos in two weeks.

Honestly, the show doesn’t feel as polished compared to Netflix, but it feels warm and homier. And honestly, more like the show, I remember. Congrats to the cast and crew. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

29 Likes

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated!!! I missed it and all there is is the trailer!!! Where is the show to watch??? Took off work for this and made special arrangements to watch it tonight after it streamed!!! So upset right now i don’t have words for it.

2 Likes

I thought the episode was great. I mean just a really fresh fun start for the new season. Great pace with the jokes. I only recall one scene with some rushed quips. And I agree the movie audio/riff audio needs some balance. But other than that it was probably one of the best Jonah hosted episodes so far!

10 Likes

I was surprised by the ads from the Gizmoplex Founding Sponsors, but rather enjoyed them.

There was a sincerity about the whole thing, and it’s great to see those generous individuals recognized for their contributions.

15 Likes

I’m still shocked that the studio behind Bendy and the Ink Machine was one of the sponsors.
I dunno on how one of the fanarts would turn out.
war-style flashbacks on the raunchy fanart

8 Likes

I’m looking forward to watching it back, lot of good riffs I want to steal and pretend are my own. <3

“Stop trying to cancel me” is going in my daily rotation. I’m going to be absolutely insufferable.

6 Likes

What I thought was cool was that they allowed Kinga to branch out with a variation on the catchphrase “enter the nightmare-fueled world of _________”.

I liked the variety of Dr. F’s and Pearl’s introductions for the movies, so I’m hoping that this will represent a step in that direction.

14 Likes

THAT WAS CRAZY but also hilarious when you got to those patches when folks had roughly the same line of thought, so you kept seeing the same words or phrases pop up in succession.

15 Likes

I’m trying to figure out why watching on my TV via Roku runs about half a minute behind watching on my PC off the website. Other than that, no complaints, and I welcome White Dot to the cast of characters!

7 Likes

Only issues imo was the audio levels and the live chat could use a slow mode in the future. All minor, I liked everything else honestly… No problem with the scaled down sets. Felt more og MST3K. I’m more concerned with funds being used for more episodes, bettering the app, and planning a season 14 hopefully

5 Likes

No sign of Growler or Waverly. I guess they are with Emily.

5 Likes

I guess I’m going with the unpopular opinion here but I did not like the new intro, the green screen segments, even the door sequence.

The riffing was OK. Definitely picked up toward the second half of the movie. The sound levels seemed off a bit.

Excited to see all the new movies, but man, I’m ready for them to start filming everything in an actual set with real props. Everything seemed flat. Kinga and max just looked completely out of place from their background.

17 Likes

If I could sum it up in one sentence: TOTALLY WORTH THE WAIT!

To expand: 1301 was so much fun! MST3K going back to its roots while still maintaining a modern look, the riffs were well paced and the movie was wild! This is a night I’ll never forget! :smiley:

Favorite riff: “Look into my hubcap…”

19 Likes

Not one gag with the bots moving around. Hopefully they’re not gone completely; there were some real gems done with that setup. Also, along with the more relaxed riffing pace is that I didn’t notice one joke anticipating what was about to happen in the movie and thus breaking the illusion that they were watching it for the first time, so well done there.

8 Likes

The next episode, which is Robot Wars (not to be confused with the tv show also called Robot Wars) won’t be release until April Fools Day, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Plus, Santo in the Treasure of Dracula was the first episode since The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t not to include 2 of Jonah’s bots. Which is fair, because 1: Waverly was pretty much demolished by Crow and Servo. And 2: Growler wouldn’t appear until the next episode: At the Earth’s Core.

3 Likes

Are we sure that the people who perform them are on board for this season?

3 Likes