1303: The Real Controversy đź’Ł

Emily Connor, in her very first episode, drops the scorching hot take (censored for strong language):

The Mads are kinda dumb.

34 Likes

I think she may have crossed a line there.

10 Likes

We got a real hothead over here.

6 Likes

Who’s the real dumb one? The Mads? Or Jonah, who managed to escape from the Satellite twice and still came back?

18 Likes

Can’t fool me with your trick questions - the correct answer is we, the audience, voluntary test subjects and mere paving stones on Kinga’s march to world domination.

13 Likes

Hey now, keep up with the Jonah slander and I will meet you in Weehauken at dawn, good gentlebeing!

9 Likes

Joke’s on you! Nobody would willingly go into New Jersey!

13 Likes

“Everything’s legal in New Jersey!” #unexpectedHamilton

Well, to be fair, I went to Jersey once. It was for a wedding, but they had an open bar and a MACARONI & CHEESE BUFFET, so totally worth it.

I was staying in Manhattan, though. :laughing:

11 Likes

Ha! Lived there most of my life. It gets a bad rap from a lot of people who only really see the Turnpike, which does suck. Rest of the state is pretty normal though.

5 Likes

We know for a fact that Jonah did NOT grow up in Trenton.

9 Likes

prince controversy GIF

3 Likes

I also grew up in New Jersey. It’s the most densely populated state in the country. The Turnpike is the worst of it, and goes through the smelliest parts. I believe that’s deliberate, so that people don’t see the good parts and try to increase the population density even further.

As for Jonah: I was kind of expecting him to tell Emily that he had, in fact, gotten the better of the Mads and locked them in their own theater. But I’ll be interested to see where they take this plot arc.

I was also a little surprised when he said that traditionally it’s been every host for himself. But I guess the only other time two hosts have interacted was when Joel came to do maintenance on the SOL, got along fine with Mike, but then refused to take Mike down to Earth, purportedly because, despite it all, his years on the SOL were the best time of his life.

But, yes. That was a very shocking thing of Emily to say. Who knew she had that in her? She always seemed so sweet and charming.

6 Likes

Well … there’s always that whole “pumping your own gas” thing.

5 Likes

Why the hell would anyone want to pump their own gas? The one thing New Jerseyans have over the rest of the country is that IMO.

3 Likes

Whoa! Whoa! That’s personal!

7 Likes

Darn Oregon. Up until relatively recently, they were the only other state in the country that didn’t allow people to pump their own gas. But they chickened out, and now NJ is the only one.

Oregon is a larger state, though, with less dependence on its neighbors. I have a friend who grew up in Oregon, went on an out of state road trip for the first time when she was a full-grown adult, stopped for gas, and just sat in the car waiting. Her friend from out of state just looked at her. “What are you waiting for? The Gas Fairy?” She had no clue what self-serve gas even was, let alone how to operate the pump. “Yes. In Oregon, we have Gas Fairies!”

6 Likes

Fame changes people, man.

11 Likes

patton oswalt laughing GIF

7 Likes

Emily was caught by those mads, sooooo, maybe not that dumb after all.

4 Likes

I’d say he’s escaped from the SOL zero times. He escaped from a wedding with Kinga on the SOL, but he didn’t actually get off the SOL.

At the end of season 12 he was removed from the SOL for a tour on earth, but he didn’t escape. That would be like counting a prisoner transfer or being taken from jail to the courthouse as an escape.

6 Likes