1312. The new 424?

Now that we know the movies and The Bubble (1966) is likely Joel’s new Manos, is it worthy of the comparison? What’s known about it? If you’ve seen it, what’s it like? Boring? Trippy? Neverending? Will the Mads apologize again? What should we expect?

2 Likes

There is already some discussion of this topic here and here. My feeling is that Demon Squad is likely the movie Joel was touting as this era’s Manos, my I may well be conflating various scraps of information we got in the immediate wake of the Kickstarter success.

3 Likes

First. This is on Episode 1312 specifically and The Bubble (1966) fitting many of the clues given out. Matt McGinnis said in the Virtual Visit that the “new Manos” wouldn’t be dropped until late in the season and built up to. Demon Squad (2019) is Episode 1306 and is midway through the season and doesn’t fit that admission. Additionally The Bubble (1966) was released the same year as Manos (1966), stars a couple entering a surreal limbo community, and akin to Carnival Magic (1983) previously it is the last episode before the Christmas Special and using Season 11 as a guide it seems Joel places the worst episode of the season in that slot. My thoughts anyway. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m starting to suspect it’s 1304: Munchie. The cast and crew seem to have some pretty strong feelings towards it on the social platforms. And it was always met with groans in the Turkey Day 2021 bumpers.

It’s why I’m actually looking forward to seeing it! (Even if I suspect it’s as painful as I’m anticipating)

3 Likes

There’s two camps inside Season 13 ArtCrow. The next generation and Joel. Jonah, Felicia, and the younger writers audibly HATED Muchie (1992) and they railed over it in the Virtual Tour of the Writers’ Room a month ago. Outing it as Episode 1304 later revealed to be Munchie, Matt McGinnis said then “1304 is not the movie Joel says is the new Manos.” He continued, “Joel’s new Manos is going to hit late in the season and be built up to.” Munchie is Episode 1304 and lands early in the season. Given these breadcrumbs, anything in the first half of Season 13 can’t be Joel’s Manos.

6 Likes

Fair enough. Still should be a crazy one!

2 Likes

Believe I saw The Bubble at some point. My vague memory is of lots of talky drama in a cave at about the same wavelength as THis is Not a Test.

2 Likes

From the Emergency Broadcast System?

I think Demon Squad would be more the Time Chasers of NuMST3K, with a collection of scrappy misfits far from the toxic environs of Tinsel Town making their own movie.

5 Likes

I saw Demon Squad and I, too, thought it was much more like Time Chasers than Manos.

I think the general consensus is that the NuManos is The Bubble although I don’t think The Bubble sinks to Manos’s level, myself.

2 Likes

We’ll see what Joel does. He’s likely the host. Joel is the cheerleader of the New Manos. Him dead center in the middle of it could amplify the effect.

1 Like

I’ve seen The Bubble and I can’t believe this is what he was talking about. It’s weird but well-shot, has decent acting, and is clearly a professional film. When I think of “new Manos” I don’t think of a bizarre film, I think of a poorly made one. I would compare the James Nguyen films to Manos more than The Bubble. Munchie is awful but more of a Mac and Me than Manos. I have not seen a few of these like Bat Woman and Demon Squad but I am feeling like it’s not a good idea to get your hopes up. Manos was special and I am not sure we’ll ever see anything like it again on MST3K, especially since they have new higher standards on print quality than they did in the Comedy Central era.

2 Likes

Munchie looks like it belongs in the “Hobgoblins” column. It probably has nothing as good as Club Scum, though.

3 Likes

It is supposed to be a kids/ family film though unlike Hobgoblins.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Santo is the new Manos, but it has a Plan 9, so bad it’s good vibe to it (especially with all the cheap graveyard scenes)! :joy:

1 Like