202. The Sidehackers

Yeah, that showed up in at least:

- The Hellcats
- King Dinosaur
- Space Travelers

3 Likes

But is that really a Sidehackers riff? My grandfather told me that joke. He’d known it for decades. It’s a very old and well-known joke. He was Polish, but I think he said the joke was believed to have originated in Russia.

2 Likes

I’d say yes, because they usually did an imitation of the guy from Sidehackers when they said it.

3 Likes

Sidehackers: The Early Years

4 Likes

Jim Henson’s Sidehacker Babies™

6 Likes

I truly hate the movie with every fiber of my being. The story behind it being selected is that originally the Brains would just watch the first ten minutes or so before deciding to use a film. If that amount of material was all you knew about The Side Hackers, it’s understandable that one might think that it’s a goofy sports film about an oddball form of motorcycle racing.

But just like the cheerful looking imagery in the poster for the film version of The Plague Dogs, it’s very misleading. About a third of the way in, it takes sudden left turn into being a biker revenge movie, including a graphic rape scene. The resulting nihilism is such that even the darkest spaghetti western would look like The Roy Rogers Show in comparison. Apparently, they were committed to using it at that point, so they cut the rape scene and worked around it the best they could. Having learned their lesson, from then on, the Brains always viewed a film all the way through before committing to it. It’s really a shame the film couldn’t have stuck with the initial premise, because it might have been halfway tolerable then.