2022 Winter Olympics

Anyone else watching the Winter Olympics? If so, what are your go-to events? Mine are figure skating, speed skating, hockey, and curling. I will watch anything, though, if there’s something on.

4 Likes

Curling. Just curling. The '06 Olympics are how we got into it, and while we’re taking a break from actually playing, it’s fun to watch.

3 Likes

Curling isn’t for everyone. Any hardcore nothing but curling talk is most welcome here.

I enjoy it - speed skating (and and short-track), curling, ski/board cross… most of it, in fact.
Not particularly gripped by ice hockey, snowboard slalom or moguls, and figure skating hasn’t had the same {ahem} appeal since Katarina Witt retired.

2 Likes

I am also watching. I don’t have a particular favorite event, but as a Geography geek, I absolutely adore the Parade of Nations! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Been getting caught up myself. I enjoy a lot of the winter sports; I’m not terribly picky. I just fast forward through stuff if I get bored because I’m recording it all, thankfully.

I will say I’m a bit more intersted in some of the behind the scenes stuff that’s been happening. For instance, a Dutch reporter was accosted on live tv by Chinese authorities, and the stories coming out of the quarantine hotels for the athletes and team members who have to quarantine due to COVID are atrocious. The IOC really needs to do a better job of picking the places the Olympics go to.

5 Likes

I loooove to watch the figure skating, to me it’s the best event. I’ll watch anybody, men’s, women’s, couples, but my favorite athlete to see compete is Yuzuru Hanyu.

2 Likes

For 40 years now, the Winter Olympic Games have been my primary source for

But remember if the announcers on TV don’t pronounce it “schiing”, then they are full of skit.

I must say my favorite Winter Olympic event has got to be skijoring, even though I have never skijored myself. (If you think you have skijored yourself, please consult with your physician.) The USA has a pretty good team of skijorers, but I think the top contenders for gold this year will be the skijorers of Spider Island.

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Sadly, the IOC really really like regimes who treat them like emperors during the bidding process.
Here’s an article including details on why Oslo pulled their bid: Olympics 2022 -- How we ended up with a Winter Games amid China's human rights crisis

5 Likes

I’ll admit that China being the hosts again in the midst of the Uighurs crisis is problematic. But even with the Uighurs, China has ongoing issues in Hong Kong and Tibet and it’s troubling that the IOC is willing to ignore that.

But as for the Olympics themselves, I really enjoy figure skating, but the focus has become so much on bigger and bigger jumps that the artistry is being lost for a lot of the skaters. In the last Winter Olympics, skaters were attempting jumps that they knew they’d miss simply because they got more points for attempting a bad jump than for sticking a jump that they knew they could do. So I haven’t watched any of the Olympics this year thus far. I may or may not tune in. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

THIS. It’s disappointing how it’s not about who is the most artistic skater, but about who can land the most quads in a performance. Skaters like Jason Brown and Javier Fernandez, for all their accomplishments, are forever in the shadow of quad machines. And Russia churning out a new 15 year old female phenom every 18 months doing more and more high level jumps…it feels more like mechanics than art, and I enjoy figure skating more as an art than mechanics.

Now back to your regular Olympic programming…

3 Likes

I thought it was pronounced “skijewer”?

1 Like

Same here! Actually, I’ve gone back to the 80s a few times to watch some of those routines. Like this one (it’s not Olympics but Worlds, but the same idea):

Or this one (again, Worlds but still…). That scratch spin at the end!

3 Likes

Not happy USA didn’t curl so hot! Very disappointing, I must say!

Next time, I guess!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed the men’s team can repeat!

2 Likes

Canadian Here. Absolutely love the Olympics.

Currently disappointed that the Mixed Curling dynamic duo of Rachel Homan and John Morris were eliminated from making the medals by a fraction of a millimeter. But still plenty to be happy and excited for.

2 Likes

The Team Ski-Jump - shambles or shenanigans? Either way, it was a big old mess and a lot of teams are very unhappy. The repercussions may rumble on into the individual competitions.

1 Like

Wow, not only is Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva a genuine sensation on the ice, but she also looks quite a bit like Nastenka from Jack Frost!

2 Likes

So I heard a Chinese speed skater managed to sneakily grab one of the pucks they put around the center of the ice and slid it over to hit another skater’s skates in one race? I think I missed that.

1 Like

You could put the Hubble telescope inside the James Webb telescope, turn them both on to highest resolution, link them to the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory AND the Deep Space Array Radio Observatory and still not be able to detect my interest in the 2022 Winter Olympics.

3 Likes