208. Lost Continent (1951)

Oh man, I tried reading After Worlds Collide and I couldn’t even get through it. Amazing that trash came from Philip Wylie after the first book.

2 Likes

Funny thing about that:

1 Like

People say “Science-Fiction has always tackled social issues”, and this is true.

What they don’t say is “Good Science-Fiction has always tackled social issues.”

5 Likes

This one gets off to an unsatisfactory start, riff-wise. Too much reliance on repeating certain riffs very close together. Like they didn’t feel confident about what they were offering. But that dies down as the show progresses and by the halfway mark, it’s great stuff.

I always chuckle when Joel tries to calm the robots down and then ends up freaking out himself moments later. :joy:

7 Likes

Hey give them a break. They had to shoot Jungle Goddess at the same time and only had a week to do both.

4 Likes

*Roger Corman laughs.*

2 Likes

I LOVED THAT!!! So priceless that reversal. It felt like a family. :smile:

5 Likes

I love this ep. 10/10 for me. Season 2 were the first episodes I ever saw and they have a special place in my heart. Such good vibes in season 2.

5 Likes

A number of repeating gags in the first 30 minutes or so. “Top of the World Ma!”, “Jane, stop this crazy thing!”, “Hello, Nobel” and “Goodbye, Nobel”, “He’s playing Pong Solitaire” and “Large-Scale Pong”, and “You ever fly one of these things?” “No.” “Me either” or some variation. Those are what catch my attention ahead of the riffing kicking into high.

5 Likes

One other USED riff early on. “I can see my house from here!”

3 Likes

I’ve only seen this one 2 or 3 times. Despite the somewhat well known cast, I just can’t get into this one. Other than “rock climbing” I can’t remember a single riff. I’m sure this is someone’s favorite and that’s all right! That’s what makes Msties unique. EVERY episode is someone’s favorite.

5 Likes

Heh. This was my first. (And you never forget your first time :smiling_face:)

One thing that was a bit nutters for me the last time I watched it was how nobody involved in the filmmaking knew a damn thing about how aeroplanes work.

Or rockets for that matter.
But that was just the least of the bull*** on full display here.
Still love the hell out of this one. There’s nothing quite like watching protagonists tampering in god’s domain
…by rock climbing.

6 Likes

As far as “Bravery Test” sequences go, I find myself digging the whole Rock Climbing deal. I mean, it really is as tedious as they say, but Joel and The Bots brilliantly turn it into sort of a in-theater sub-plot where they try to find ways to “survive” and riff their way out of this beast of sequence and share their plight with the viewer. We end up feeling triumphant when it’s finally over!

That said, once it’s over, the episode becomes super forgettable. It’s really as much a paint-by-numbers B-level “Lost World” narrative as one can get.

I do think every MSTie should watch this at least once, just so they can earn that “Rock Climbing” merit badge!

8 Likes

I would say it’s more that it can tackle social issues in ways that don’t age well.

5 Likes

Second look at Metropolis’s thesis that utopia can be achieved by Communism and Fascism working together?

(It’s demonized now, of course, but fascism was seen as the moderate middle ground between Communism and Capitalism.)

3 Likes

I think some have aged better than others. I take Vonnegut for example. Player Piano is incredibly dated, but The Sirens of Titan and Cat’s Cradle are still pretty relevant.

3 Likes

I recently read Sirens of Titan and…I mean, I guess I wouldn’t say it was irrelevant, but I also remember it more as an exercise in writing than anything.

1 Like

As the Wikipedia intro to it says-

it involves issues of free will, omniscience, and the overall purpose of human history.

1 Like

My absolute favorite episode!

3 Likes

See, I strive mightily to forget the rock-climbing, but I never do. [sigh] It’s kind of like picking up a bug in a foreign country and it keeps plaguing you long after you return home.

4 Likes