208. Lost Continent (1951)

Yeah, it didn’t land for me. It’s almost a shaggy dog story with one of two possible punchlines. I give him credit for not going with the nihilistic one. But thinking back, I don’t think I picked up on it as “tackling social issues”, particularly. I recall it as being more about basic questions of meaning and existence.

2 Likes

I guess I don’t really know the difference. It seems like all part of the same thing when it comes to sci-fi. Commenting on the human condition.

3 Likes

This has always been a favorite of mine.

4 Likes

All literature comments on the human condition.

“Tackling social issues” would be like “Conan goes to a town where alcohol is prohibited and gangsters run amok” or “You’re black on the left side and white on the right side where I’m white on the left side and right on the black side, so we are mortal enemies!”

Or, let’s say, Othello barely touches on the issues of being a moor in 16th century England (a social issue), it’s mostly about jealousy and evil (general human condition).

3 Likes

What is it that makes it your favorite?

6 Likes

And the laugh track behind him as he threatens the Apocalypse before recanting. Mike and a laugh track are a powerful pair.

5 Likes

This is only just one of the many reasons!

2 Likes

“Punch it, Hal! I want to die with you!”

1 Like

I’ve always loved When Worlds Collide! Usually I don’t like seeing movies I love get riffed, but this one does admittedly have a couple unintentionally funny moments. (There’s a great “Mein Führer! I can walk!” moment towards the end.) And WWC was already less than 80 minutes long, so maybe it wouldn’t have needed too much pruning.

3 Likes

You prefer the early seasons? I’ve realized that’s when I really notice you reacting.

1 Like

I suppose so! I’ve been watching it since almost the beginning, so I guess it would be natural that many of my favorites are from the earlier years. But don’t get me wrong; there’s some real gold in the Sci Fi and Netflix years.

4 Likes

I’m doing a (slow) re-watch and am in the middle of this. First time I’ve ever seen it on a big screen (I don’t even know how big the screen is but, like, 74"?) and first time I realized—that’s an actual butt!

This is apparently why Hugh Beaumont loses it. (You can see him put his head down and laugh.)

2 Likes

“Careful! They’re grabbing people’s butts up there!”

6 Likes

See above.

2 Likes

Well, I knew they were grabbing kids’ butts up there but I never knew they were grabbing kids’ butts!

I mean, I figured he was wearing shorts or something but…no. And this passed the Hays Office!

Sid Melton’s butt would be an automatic hard-R if there were any justice in the world.

4 Likes

From an environmental standpoint, I’d be more worried about all the cigarette butts they left. We should not be encouraging endangered species to smoke! :angry:

4 Likes

It’s all right: A later crew left behind a bunch of vape pens.

2 Likes

You know, I keep pointing out that these movies don’t live up to their titles, but once again, this one does too- it isn’t a continent.

5 Likes

It’s the Lost Continent. They never find it. It never makes an appearance in the movie. (That was for a later film in the LCCU—Lost Continent Cinematic Universe.)

4 Likes

How do you lose a continent anyway?

3 Likes