211. First Spaceship On Venus (1960)

Assuming that the number less than the square root of 30 is zero, the answer is ‘any integer you want’.

2 Likes

More about this from a blog on East German cinema.

GDR filmmakers often had a hard time balancing their desire to experiment with not get on the wrong side of the regime. But they produced a lot of good stuff.

2 Likes

And what with the change in screen aspect ratios, it’s now down again to 75 percent vision.

2 Likes

For any integer to be the sum of itself and some other number, the other number has to be zero, and vice versa.

Zero is, by definition, less than any positive number, so it would qualify, assuming that 30 has a positive square root at all. Which it does and I’m too lazy to figure it out (but it would be just over 5).

So the answer is: any integer.

2 Likes

So wild speculative headcannon here, but the gorilla Tom sings to could be an ancestor of Bobo…if the poor thing managed to survive and get back down to Earth.

4 Likes

Does that mean it’s descendant will marry one of Mike’s?

2 Likes

Just starting the movie and it’s immediately apparent that the dub work in this is very questionable. The lip flaps are terrible.

2 Likes

Exaaaactly!

2 Likes

I also love the effect for the room filling up with XT-5000’s foam and how it’s very clearly somebody holding a prop right in front of the camera.

4 Likes

I’m glad a saved this for last. This has always been one of my upper episodes. The production was high quality, and, more importantly, there were not any idiots.
I will say the “Venus wants to kill us all” plot was a bit out there. But that just made it very pulp. As a matter of point, this whole film has a very pulp script and score. Everything else was trying to make a little more serious. Debate as to hell well it pulled it off.

While the riffs did tend to slow down in the latter half, with some real rip-snorters early on.

“Dear toothbrush, you are the only one who understands me.”

“You used to be a Swedish man.”

And the new stuff had an extremely important message we should all learn.
Leave repairs to the professionals, and buy your own sweets.

5 Likes

“The director of this film certainly had a different vision!”

3 Likes

Klack.

What the HELL did I just watch? :astonished:

2 Likes

The restored version is available on Kanopy under the title The Silent Star.

2 Likes

It’s on YouTube as well.

4 Likes

An East German sci-fi movie made in 1960 which is probably badly translated and definitely badly dubbed, but the effects are very impressive for the time, and I have a feeling the movie would be a lot better if you know and watched it in the original German.

4 Likes

The Potato Fudge ad is funny, but I’m pretty sure it’s got to be fake. Not that Kraft didn’t offer some weird recipes using their products, but the copy here is just too sus:

“nature’s potato, the Potato”?
“The Sow trough … tantalizing brown Potato Fudge … Your kids will snort, wallow and roll”?

2 Likes

Yeah. I wish people would label their parodies AS parodies. Also, I have a bunch of real Kraft stuff and frankly parodying it is redundant.

1 Like

I never noticed this until now, but there’s what appears to be another Servo hiding in the seat next to Crow in this episode. I can see the top of his head poking out!

2 Likes