213. Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (1966)

A pivotal one for me. MST3K and Godzilla. 2 for 1. The seafood jokes, “Batman!”, “A planet where apes evolved from men?”, The Godzilla Genealogy Bop, Crow and Servo as the Mothra Twins, a Tippi Hedren riff. This is near and dear to my heart. Almost as much as Cave Dwellers (1984). The emergence of the Golden Era of the show is there in the episode. The replay is high and I pop it in often. First impressions? What do you recall or remember?

9 Likes

For me Godzilla vs Megalon is one of the iconic episodes of MST3K. But I do also love GvtSM.

3 Likes

I’m fond of each. Sea Monster (1966) is so rewatchable. The experiment fits into that Pod People (1983) or Cave Dwellers (1984) sweet spot. Compellingly confounding and fun from beginning to end. Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) is so memorable and iconic. The exposition and flow of it offsets the riffs and it isn’t as on the money consistently as Sea Monster. Megalon’s final 30 minutes is some of the greatest MST commentary. The prior hour I’d rate under Sea Monster’s. Only a little but enough to notice. My mileage. I dived into each last week and Megalon impressed me as an achievement and tremendous triumph of the format yet Sea Monster had me at Hello. Funny how taste works. Nonetheless the two are essential episodes and they are musts for any MSTie.

2 Likes

P.S. I played Megalon (1973) twice. Back-to-back. The second flyover the gap between the two lessened. Megalon covers you in great riffing and that is evident the more you chew on it. A few jokes I caught on Round 2 and these benefited the whole. Sea Monster (1966) I favor mainly due to the enthusiasm of the quips and the Host Segments.

4 Likes

I lean towards Godzilla Vs. Megalon as being the first true masterpiece of the show’s run, but Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster is a fun ride, too.

There’s just something about the surreal bizarreness of the impromptu rock volley between the two characters, and all the “Godzilla looks like he has to go” jokes are marvelous.

And you gotta love the Godzilla Genealogy Bop, an all-timer.

6 Likes

The one and only. Among the greatest of Host Segments.

8 Likes

@optiMSTie I’m with you. Screening The Wild Rebels (1967) in March, Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) is a step up from prior MST fare. The depth of the riffs, the Godzilla formula, the cultural peculiarities, the clash of West Meets East is front and center and the heart of much of the humor. The little boy, the stairs, monster suits, the models, this is a blueprint of how MST would evolve in Season 3 and beyond.

6 Likes

Mmhmm.

That last big monster fight was a thing of beauty, pop culturally dense with references and made hilarious through that pro wrestling commentary.

Everything was on point in that episode with the host segments, but especially the utterly bizarre, surprisingly caustic, and completely random “Orville Redenbacher meets Long Day’s Journey into Night” sketch.

Plus it ends with Frank mourning the death of Super Mario, which is just plain boss.

5 Likes

To get back to THIS episode, though, I like that we get some Mothra stuff here (not to mention Mike as a visiting Mothra), although the human characters aren’t quite as memorable as the over-the-top Seatopians of Godzilla Vs. Megalon.

4 Likes

I love Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster. In fact, it’s my default episode when I need something to help me fall asleep because my brain is in overdrive. Once I get past the mind control guitar and the doggie chew toy guitars, the sound level is just right. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Both really good episodes, I would give the edge to Godzilla vs. Megalon because I also just love it when Joel and The Bots become pro-wrestling commentators!

And that Godzilla drop kick (twice!) is so good!

6 Likes

Fun Fact: The actress who portrays the spiritualist Yata’s mom consults in the beginning portrayed a very similar character in the Kurosawa film Rashomon.

5 Likes

I had this movie on VHS so when i saw it in the mst3k catalog with Gamera i knew these were my people. I had Megalon, too, and like 15 others that didnt make the cut. Radioactive super monsters will never stop being cool, just the people who grow out of them.

3 Likes

“You may find yourself living in a shogun shack!”

Watching this and MEGALON, I kinda lament that we didn’t get to see Joel and the Bots do ALL MONSTERS ATTACK, as it’s a great big turducken of things that would lead to hilarious riffing.

6 Likes

Yeah. I think this one got overlooked in the Favorite Musical Numbers thread.

I am filled with shame.

5 Likes

Is it sad that I know the kaiju name of the sea monster is Ebirah?

5 Likes

Also the kid in GvM was in Kurosawa’s Dodes’Ka-Den.

2 Likes

Akira Kurosawa and Ishiro Honda were friends and both employees of Toho Pictures for a long time (Honda even worked as Kurosawa’s 1st AD sometimes). And Akira Ifukube scored films for both directors (far more for Honda, I think). I would not be surprised about any actors that overlap their filmographies.

4 Likes

Can I just say that I find Mothra to be a fascinating kaiju. Who would ever have thought to have a giant moth as a fighting monster? Plus, having her be so powerful and benevolent (to those who worship her at least). I learned pretty much everything I know about kaijus from watching riffed movies, but I have to say that Mothra is very interesting to me.

…and she doesn’t even get billing in this movie!

4 Likes

Many other episodes that work as well as sleeping background?

1 Like