309. The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)

“He’s done! And he smells great! Oh, get the barbecue sauce…”

3 Likes

And all the other insensitive food riffs when talking to Carol. :joy:

4 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :smiley:

And all the insensitive riffs in general, thanks to that jerk reporter.

Carol, asking about Glenn: “Was there much pain?”
Joel as reporter: “Well, no, I felt great, wh- oh.”

4 Likes

There is a sincerity about Colossal (1957) that’s strangely touching and ideal for MST3K. It cares so much and that intensity is a standout in the film. It is soap opera set in a fantasy and that melodrama is really distinctive and ripe for riffing.

5 Likes

So… where did the Amazing Colossal Man take an amazing colossal poo?

2 Likes

You remind me of the joke when Glenn takes a drink of water and his chamber pot is mentioned. :laughing:

4 Likes

In his amazing colossal diapers, of course.

4 Likes

Well who has to do amazing colossal wiping duty then? Because it sure as hell isn’t gonna be me, I’ll tell you that right now.

3 Likes

Just think of the size of that moist towelette! On second thought, don’t.

4 Likes

There’s a continuity error between this film and War on the Colossal Beast - Glenn’s fiancée says that he has no other family, but WotCB is all about his sister.

6 Likes

Sequels invent material sometimes. Otherwise there’d nothing to talk about or make a movie around.

4 Likes

You opened the gateway and dancing towelettes are parading in my head.

3 Likes

So much this. I can totally see how you might get caught into the story in the right kind of mood, but the overall concept is just way too weird to take all that seriously.

This is one of those movies that really shows you what MST3K is capable of. They really do get dark in the riffing, but the movie’s downbeat tone makes it easy to get there!

This really is a great one!

7 Likes

Better than The Magic Sword (which Joel and Tom acknowledged as being pretty good)?

3 Likes

I heard tuna fish.

3 Likes

Threatens the whole universe is strong.

4 Likes

“What kind of sin could a man commit in a single lifetime to bring this upon himself? Perhaps it isn’t I who’s growing, but it’s everyone who’s shrinking!

4 Likes

Yes, although I agree that the Magic Sword is not as terrible as it might have been.

4 Likes

mst3k309amazingcolossaljoel

Joel did it better than the movie’s own Glenn Manning.

7 Likes

Indeed. In an alternate universe, Joel could have played The Amazing Colossal Man on stage. He has the earnestness for it.

3 Likes