321. Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (1964)

Probably my favorite MST3K song of all time.

3 Likes

Even above Clowns In The Sky?

4 Likes

I just noticed how large that set was. Does anyone know where they filmed these?

4 Likes

Well… ONE of my favorites. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My goodness is this a classic! This episode just gives you everything we love about MST3K!

It for sure kicks-off the holiday season for me!

4 Likes

Goofy, goofy movie. Host segments are good and the riffing solid. A must watch come mid-December. But, not as much fun for me as Santa Claus. And not nearly as weird!

7 Likes

That’s amazing! :star_struck:

4 Likes

His nerd cred is impeccable and he is a first class showman; he’s the regular Toastmaster at my local sci-fi con. A great auctioneer, too!

6 Likes

Magnificent story. And when you were able to watch all of it from beginning to end?

2 Likes

Footnote: This is the only film that MST3K, Cinematic Titanic and RiffTrax have all riffed. I believe it was, for a while, the only “triple-riffed” film among MST3K alums, but now it’s been joined by Santa Claus vs. the Devil, Manos and The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (plus a few shorts).

5 Likes

I caught the first half in a rerun later that year.

An interesting side effect of being introduced by The Hour is it was all Joel episodes, so when I tracked down a copy of the movie and watched it, I was like “Who’s this guy!?”

3 Likes

But what makes this one extra special is that third riffing was from Cinematic Titanic, so up until The Revival, it had been riffed by everyone on MST3K who had ever riffed.

I have often thought they should give Jonah and Emily a crack at it somehow, out of tradition.

4 Likes

Episode 2 Gil Gunderson GIF by The Simpsons

4 Likes

The history of MST3K is long. You’re not the only one I’ve heard “Who’s this guy?” from. Mike so took over the mantle newcomers who came in later had no idea Joel existed. Time changed that but this first exposure enriched different generations of fans with their own grasp of the show and expanded the community I feel. Competing possibilities of what the show could be.

3 Likes

so as the Yule tide season is almost upon us I would like to share my childhood trauma I associate with SCCTM.
you see I grew up a TV addict in NYC and Christmas Day was always tough for kids looking for something to watch (this pre dates cable).
most TV stations assumed that folks just didn’t watch TV on Christmas.
well me being anti-social I watched TV everyday.
SCCTM must have been in public domain even back then…it was on all the time.
I was FORCED to watch it…there was NOTHING else on.
with commercials it ran like 2 hours.
what a nightmare.
even today as some of you have fond memories of the MST episode and view it every year.
I still find it hard to watch.
thank god for the Christmas Story marathon.

P.S. I would love to see the MST3K White Christmas!

2 Likes

Have you tried watching it again on The Gizmoplex? The quality of seeing it there blows YouTube out of the water. Often how we first experience something defines our expectations. I’ve been guilty of that. It’s hard not to. Once in awhile we have to start over or at least try. It doesn’t always take. Having not seen this till now, the movie works. For me. “To each their own…”

3 Likes

Watch the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday special … :laughing:

4 Likes

Lady Momar is a Disney queen!

It’s Just A Show 61. MST3K 321. Santa Claus Conquers The Martians]

1 Like

How did we get through this whole thread without anyone mentioning that Servo’s head is a snowglobe, featuring Santa on his sleigh?

There’s a lot to love in this episode, but that’s my favorite detail.

6 Likes