4/15 SPACE MUTINY REWATCH OPEN THREAD: Where else would you be on a Friday night?

Big McLargeHuge welcomes you to the Completely Unofficial Gizmoplex Tailgate Party and Space Mutiny Rewatch Extravaganza. Just to bring you up to speed, the original Future War tribute event scheduled for tonight has been postponed to May 12. But the determined MSTies of this message board threw an Earth Mutiny, selected our favorite of this month’s Vault Picks, and teased @ivan about his ignorance of dental history until he relented and set up this event for us instead.

Remember, the crew is still getting ready for the big debut in May, and I think they’re using this livestream for testing purposes. So I definitely encourage you to watch via the Gizmoplex if you have access and share feedback about your experience!

Professor @Lesley taught me everything I know before she blew up in that very realistic shuttle crash, so I’m aware that there needs to be a random question here. What’s your favorite non-MST quote?

25 Likes

Here’s mine: “Out of intense complexities, intense simplicities emerge.” - Winston Churchill.

I figure most things out while I’m high. :smirk:

7 Likes

Hopefully we can watch it live through the MST3K app, where they have everything else.

3 Likes

“Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.”

6 Likes

Oh, I’m sure you can. I just happened to get Gizmoplex access this week and figure I’ll give it a whirl for science.

6 Likes

Yes, tonight’s screening is available at all the usual locations.

5 Likes

Good question, that.

There’s been a Shakespeare quote that’s always stuck with me, and from Claudius by way of Hamlet, of all sources:

“When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions.”

7 Likes

For something outside of the realm of fiction, an Abraham Lincoln quote has been bouncing around my head for some time as well:

“I claim not to have controlled events, but confess plainly that events have controlled me.”

6 Likes

Finally, for something just a tad more lighthearted, I absolutely adore this one Mel Brooks quote:

“I have always been a huge admirer of my own work. I’m one of the funniest and most entertaining writers I know.”

6 Likes

It’s too long to be considered a proper quote, but I also love the Bill Hicks “It’s Just a Ride” speech in its entirety.

5 Likes

Dexters Laboratory What A Fine Day For Science GIF

6 Likes

:smiley:

OH
HELL
YES.

2 Likes

2 quotes that have stuck with me a long time…

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal from a fire with the intention of throwing it at another: you are the one getting burned.”

“Wish in one hand, $#@+ in the other, see which fills up first.”

5 Likes

It would be something if we had someone like Groucho Marx in these days, no?

5 Likes

Sharp quote.

And heh, hey, any which way towards getting things figured out!

4 Likes

I like this quote from Abraham Lincoln, because it evokes a beautiful image: “My politics are short and sweet, like the old woman’s dance.”

4 Likes

That’s a nice Lincoln quote, too, I rather like that.

3 Likes

I had Groucho’s name under that at first, but figured I should double-check the attribution—it’s not his! I have always thought it was.

Regardless, totally agreed. We need a Groucho!

3 Likes

Oh wow, I love this question already - I’m going to learn so many good new quotes from people with excellent taste.

These words have quite recently had a major impact on me:

So much so, in fact, that I think I might order it for dinner.

3 Likes

Rob Paulsen (Animaniacs, TMNT) once pitched a joke to Mel at a recording session for Spaceballs. Mel’s response? “Wit is s**t. Funny is money.”

4 Likes