406. Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959)

Photographed in eight days including outdoors at the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden, Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959) paired with A Bucket of Blood (1959) and House of Usher (1960) on American International Double Bills. Spending $70,000 and casting Playboy’s Miss July 1959 Yvette Vickers as Liz Walker, they spared no expense or did they? The Holoclowns, Patches the Leech, The Insty-Adolescence Kit, Undersea Kingdom, Weird Dreams, “A Danger to Myself and Others”, The Motives of Leeches. “Looks like an E.E. Cumings book cover”, “STELLA!!!”, “Just advancing the plot, nothing personal.” “Hey Roger Corman WOOO!!!” or “Fish Fry tonight”?

6 Likes

Another great Bruno VeSota performance. My fellow MSTies have helped me appreciate him a lot more by pointing out all of his other appearances.

Like Killer Shrews and Gila Monster I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for this one. We need more black and white creature features. The creatures in this one are especially silly and always make me think Dr. Fred has set up shop nearby.

7 Likes

Bruno VeSota is such an underrated actor. No matter how big or small a role, he put everything into it and always brought something interesting. I’m convinced he didn’t do better in Hollywood because of his weight.

6 Likes

“A Danger to Myself and Others” is an all time classic musical highlight. And I love the whole '50s monster movie trope of “if in doubt, set off a bunch of dynamite and hope for the best.”

4 Likes

Which culminates in King Dinosaur’s totally reasonable “a giant iguana, set off a nuke!” by a bunch of, ahem, “scientists”.

4 Likes

A Danger to Myself and Others.

3 Likes

The Holoclowns Saga. Beginning in Being from Another Planet (1982) and ending here.

2 Likes