40th anniversary of The Black Adder!

June 15th is the 40th anniversary of one of the funniest TV series of all time, The Black Adder starring Rowan Atkinson. It’s a historical period comedy set in various eras where Blackadder tries to become rich, gain power, and not die, and not necessarily in that order. It even made life in the trenches of WWI funny. To celebrate they did a cunning plan and snuck a painting of him into a gallery to the confusion of some visitors.

14 Likes

There are so many great scenes throughout the series (and Xmas special!), but it’s hard to beat this appearance by the late, great Rik Mayall.

8 Likes

I watched this show in its entirety for the first time last fall, and OMG, it is so brilliant.

But if you told me I could keep only Hugh Laurie OR Miranda Richardson, my brain would fry.

(And then I’d pick Queenie.)

miranda richardson crush GIF

7 Likes
4 Likes

The first Blackadder I saw was Blackadder: Back And Forth. Then I went back and watched the whole series. So much comic genius, but also so much emotion.

And the ending of that final series gets me every time.

Warning - you’re crying, I’m crying, we’re all crying at this one…

13 Likes

They don’t call me Clever Pete for nothing.

1 Like

Or Ploppy the Slopper.

2 Likes

Black Adder has been on my radar for a long while, but I think it’s time to give it the old college try.

5 Likes

Season 1 is hit or miss, IMO. 2-4 are gold.

4 Likes

is anyone streaming this these days?

It’s always funny running into someone who thinks Hugh Laurie is a serious American actor and then having to show them scenes of Bertie Wooster and the Prince Regent.

8 Likes

Without Black Adder, we would never have Time Team, which is far more entertaining to me than Blackadder, so I’m happy with that.

1 Like

Stone-age media crank says “naaaah.”

1 Like

I love Time Team.

2 Likes

Looks like Hulu and Britbox are currently streaming the series (Blackadder).

__
“To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn’t it?”

“You’re that man who used to be funny!” related Tony Robinson on Time Team, said by someone who recognized him from Blackadder.

6 Likes

It’s my favorite show after MST3K.

1 Like

Well that’s just mean. He was funny all the time on Time Team.

2 Likes

I don’t think he particularly likes people bringing up Blackadder, at least not when he’s working on something else.

1 Like

My favorite episodes are “Potato” from the second series and “Sense and Senility” from series 3, the one with the two actors and Blackadder’s constant rattling of them by saying “Macbeth.”

And yes, those last minutes in the final episode of series 4 are heart-breaking.

5 Likes

Speaking of Time Team and Tony, I just saw this-

1 Like