40th anniversary of The Black Adder!

It could have stung a little, yeah. But Tony said it in good humor, so it was probably meant as, “you used to be on that comedy series I really enjoyed.”

3 Likes

A show with a similar vibe is Upstart Crow, which I usually elevator pitch as the life of Shakespeare passed through a Black Adder filter.

The first episode opens with his teen daughter Susanna reciting, “‘O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?’ Dad, this is rubbish. No one talks like this.” During the discussion over how it’s a weird way of her say why is he called Romeo, the wife points out that this makes no sense. After all, the heart of their dilemma is the hostilities between their families, so more properly it should be, “O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Montague?” To which he responds a bit abashed, “Yes, I was rather hoping no one would notice that.”

The show also has fun at the expense of the Anti-Stradfordians. The first series has a running gag where Shakespeare has written all the plays attributed to Christopher Marlowe.

4 Likes

“Bring out my Blackadder DVDs for a rewatch” has just moved way up my list of things to do.

6 Likes

Ok I need to watch that series now!

1 Like

My brain still calls forth “pleaae accept my appologeys” when people apologize for waits.

4 Likes

My absolute favorite variation on ‘I have a cunning plan’ is as follows (I believe it’s from the 2nd series):

“Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words ‘I have a cunning plan’ marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?”

I legit had to pause the stream to double over in laughter.

8 Likes

It is, but for some reason Brian Blessed bellowing “Chiswick, fresh horses!” sets me off every time.

And I am wont to say, resignedly, “oh dear, Richard the third” whenever I come across a decapitated head in a field.

3 Likes

It’s one of those shows that is just very pleasingly written, delivered by some amazing(ly hammy) actors.

4 Likes

“Yup!”

1 Like

Ah… that horrid little man.

I cherish my complete DVD box set.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Tom Baker (my favorite Doctor) as Capt. Rum.

6 Likes

That episode also had Simon Jones (the original Arthur Dent) as Raleigh.

5 Likes

Oh Sir Walter, really!

2 Likes

They’ve just aired the original unbroadcast pilot here in the UK from 1983 with an accompanying documentary.

2 Likes

I’m watching it! And thank you all, it’s been worth it!

4 Likes

Funny enough, I just ordered the DVD set from Amazon this afternoon.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the Xmas special!

“This high infant mortality rate’s a real devil when it comes to staging quality children’s theatre.”

3 Likes