411. The Magic Sword (1962)

The best movie ever on MST3K? Basil Rathbone, Estelle Winwood, Anne Helm, Gary Lockwood, Liam Sullivan. Both Joel Robinson and Tom Servo proclaimed this as “pretty good” during the episode. Virtually a live action remake of Sleeping Beauty (1959), Uncle Walt inspired Mr. B.I.G. and this might actually be better. Sorceress, magical knights, magic shield, 20-Year-Old Virgin? Caricature Artist, Big Gulp Berets, Designer Bio-Hazard Absorbent Throw Pillows, Rathbones Doggie Biscuits, Festive Medieval Pageant, Crow Loves Estelle, George Carlin. “Say Bert I. Gordon’s gone color”, “Can slice a tomato so thin you can see through it”, “Ah, I’ll have Basil Rathbone with Pesto please.” “Give her a higher love” or “Even then she was really old”?

9 Likes

@optiMSTie The least problematic experiment on MST3K? I seem to recall The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide implying that or at minimum coming off very complimentary.

5 Likes

A top 5 episode easily. The Estelle song, “he is French”, the awesome knight accents. Basil Rathbone making more ham than Hormel! What’s not to love? Every moment of this episode is just *chef kiss*

Edit: forgot to list the best part… well second best after the Estelle song… Joel as the Happy King and Servo’s reaction thereto ROFL

8 Likes

Big Gulp Berets and Designer Bio-Hazard Absorbent Throw Pillows.

3 Likes

I stand corrected. I said Tormented was Bert I Gordon’s best, but this might actually be better. Good special effects, decent acting, decent story. A pretty good movie made better by Joel and the Bots riffing! This one is quite watchable and that makes for a good episode. An underrated season four entry!

7 Likes

Myriad of the Best Brains crew past and present have praised how fun and solid this film was. It was still zany, odd and cheesy enough that it supplied prime riffing material.

I sort of think of it as an unofficial American addition to the Russo Finnish sequence. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Rathbones Doggie Biscuits.

5 Likes

Definitely the best part of the film is Estelle. She’s like Margaret Hamilton or Billy Hayes…she truly -enjoys- being a witch.

5 Likes

Save The Princess.

3 Likes

Enter The Dragon.

3 Likes

Jerk, You Broke My Sword.

3 Likes

Deep Fried Sword.

2 Likes

Preview of Rifftrax’s commentary of The Magic Sword (1962).

4 Likes

411 Promos.

3 Likes

Trailer of The Magic Sword (1962).

1 Like

The Magic Sword (1962) Movie Review.

1 Like

Richard Markowitz’s Opening Title Music to The Magic Sword (1962).

2 Likes

The Magic Sword Is Unbelievably Charming.

2 Likes

Malia Nurmi in The Magic Sword (1962).

3 Likes

One of the few I own unriffed.

4 Likes