411. The Magic Sword (1962)

I love that Carlin bit!

4 Likes

This stuff? This stuff right here?

This is why this episode is such a gem.

As Bert I. Gordon episodes go, this is second only to Village of the Giants. But just to be clear, The Magic Sword is a better movie, but in both cases, the movies are enjoyable (even if Beau Bridges is a big ol’ jerkface in Village).

8 Likes

I will admit the actress playing the Princess is pretty cute.

This definitely plays well as a “Saturday Afternoon Movie.” Heck, Bert seemed to like it so much, word was he kept the dragon.

Though I do love the one quip in the cave:

“Any last words?”

“HEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!”

4 Likes

I have this on in the background at work as I attempt to burrow through the day, and I don’t know why, but as the troop is going through the smoky swamp, this exchange:

Tom: “Really makes you think, don’t it?”
Joel: “Nope.”

spittake

I don’t even know why it hit me so hard that I started guffawing. My co-workers think I’m nuts. Bits that hit like that out of the blue are just the best.

7 Likes

During the bit in the cave with the creepy ghosts, they boys riff “Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!”

it sounds so familiar, but i can’t remember where it comes from. anybody remember? it’s about 1:05:40 into the episode.

5 Likes

:thinking: I never thought it was a specific reference to anything, but I could be mistaken.

3 Likes

It’s from the first Superman movie!

7 Likes

Yes!!! thank you!!

5 Likes

First watched this episode in 2013. I was amazed how good the story for this one was compared to most MST3K films. The acting is good, and the effects are well done as well. It is usually one of my top picks for Fantasy genre MST.

7 Likes

Yeah. It’s one of the few I own unriffed.

7 Likes

I don’t personally have it unriffed but my mother was familiar with it and liked it. Basil Rathbone’s good in anything.

5 Likes

You know. It’s kind of amazing how “disposable” everybody in this film is. The knights all die one by one. Princesses apparently are just riddling the countryside like mice for a snake.

But who cares when we got Basil Rathbone hamming it up with Estelle Winwood.

:star_struck:

7 Likes

Well, the Knights were immortal but needed to be released from Medieval suspended animation every time a new prince or sorcerer purchased them from the Used Knights Lot.

Like the reanimated dead guys from Deathstalker later on, they probably had even more swell stories to tell than Mr. B.

3 Likes

The king in this movie just looks so … DERPY. It’s like at any moment I am expecting him to just dribble his lips and go, “Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr…!” I can’t imagine someone being less kingly in appearance and demeanor than this load.

All in all Magic Sword is decent for a Bert I. Goron outing. It is in many respects a bit of a copy-cat movie that is seriously aping Jack the Giant Killer. Basil hams it up massively, but looks ridiculous in his idiotic turban so despite chewing the scenery he just doesn’t come off as a credible villain.

And the plot device of Sybil not being able to remember her stupid rhyme is like fingernails on a chalkboard every time I hear her talk. Its so forced, stilted, and obviously manufactured that it makes my blood boil for just how awful the writing is. Its as terrible as JK Rowlings purile attempt at a “riddle” in the 5th Potter book. Note to screenwriters and authors in general … if you lack the talent to write well then do NOT even try to write plot elements beyond your skill level. It just makes you look like you tried to write after having a frontal lobotomy.

The episode is good, but the movie is clearly a couple steps down from the movie it is copying from (Jack the GK), which was kind of weaksauce to start with.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s a cheap, silly kids’ movie. That’s why it’s such superb riff fodder.

I still haven’t seen Jack all the way through, but that’s because I have no attention span these days.

3 Likes

Jack is definitely a better MOVIE, but arguably not as fun of a riff as Magic Sword though its definitely got some great bits.

“Oh, thanks for finding my anchor and OW what the heck, man?”

Just wait for it, and remember to seize the bone.

4 Likes

[taps foot skeptically]

Not without dinner and flowers first, Mr. Riddler. If that IS really your name.

2 Likes

Just finished this one last night. I’m sure it makes sense in the original language.

2 Likes