415. The Beatniks (1960)

Daddy-O (1958) with a Wild Rebels (1967) bent. Outcasts rob businesses for spending cash and thrills before one of them turns singing sensation. Infighting, a change of heart, and a message fall from the sky as our hero sacrifices and it all works out. Kind of. Dancing, singing, delinquency, Dick Clark’s Rockin’ Eve? Rock Paper Scissors, Good Luck Troll Costumes, Pocket Pool, More General Hospital, Beatniks, Slumber Party, 50s Rock Star, Rampage. “Hey it’s Daddy-O”, “Dad. Are we there yet?”, “Ed Wood!” “Let’s do some crimes!” or “Let that be a lesson to you”?

11 Likes

I FREAKING LOVE THIS ONE :smiley:

This upper echelon MST3K in my book, General Hospital short and all. Those musical crime caper episodes like Untamed Youth, Catalina Caper, Daddy-O (which I’m so glad you mentioned here as a parallel, by the bye), I Accuse My Parents, Girls Town, and to a somewhat more lenient extent, Teen-Age Strangler, are tops in my book. Love them.

This one is no exception.

8 Likes

Rock Paper Scissors.

4 Likes

The Boatniks! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Good Luck Troll Costumes and Pocket Pool.

5 Likes

To cut to the chase, that General Hospital short is the sole factor that keeps The Beatniks from being out-and-out god-tier.

It’s not a BAD short, but it’s not exceptional. Just kinda sorta somewhat there, where all three GH shorts more or less blend together into a big ol’ soap opera gruel where all the parts are pretty much indistinguishable from each other. They’re overall good, but not reaching stellar heights.

Still, all the booze jokes near the end are a hit.

:musical_note: BEE DOUBLE-O ZEE EEE, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE :musical_note:

8 Likes

Rocket To Stardom.

5 Likes

Blast Our Way Out.

4 Likes

Chicken Fried Punk.

5 Likes

Let’s Do Some Crimes!

5 Likes

Before I get into a full-on dissection/analysis of the episode, I feel compelled to applaud it for giving us two great enduring MST3K recurring bits:

1. “Shut up, Iris.” (Usually followed by a second “shut up” or an “I tell ya, shut up.”)

2. “I! KILLED! THAT! FAT! BARKEEP!” (Boy howdy, I’m gonna get into the Mooney character in my observations. Hooooooooooo boy.)

7 Likes

415 Stinger.

4 Likes

Riffing of General Hospital. A PSA From The Booze Council.

4 Likes

I WATCHED THIS MOVIE SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE IT WAS REFERENCED IN THIS EPISODE :smiley:

5 Likes

Have there been better/more appropriate stingers chosen over the course of MST3K in the stinger era?

Probably. But this one is my favorite. Hot damn, it’s PERFECT.

5 Likes

More General Hospital.

5 Likes

Another “for the record”…

I will always scream-laugh like a maniac over this opening volley:

Servo: "Hey, it’s Daddy-O! "

Crow: [concerned whimpering]

5 Likes

Trailer of The Beatniks (1960).

5 Likes

Anywho, THERE’S SO MUCH GOING ON IN THIS MOVIE AND THUS THE RIFFING FOLLOWS SUIT

Oh, man. We start out with that liquor store robbery, and that’s a hoot and a half.

Servo as the store owners awkwardly put their arms down as they’re being robbed: “You’ve got underarm odor, but you’re being held up! Whattaya do?”

Crow: “Where’s the fishing lures? I want a new Ray Stevens tape! Where’s the jerky…”

Joel as the getaway car scrams: “Hey, did you get me a Zagnut?”

They get you with this sequence right away, and it ONLY GETS BETTER.

6 Likes

:notes:MEET. GEORGE. JETSON!:notes: HA!”

8 Likes