418. Attack of the The Eye Creatures (1967)

Aka The Eye Creatures, this Made-For-TV color remake of Invasion of the Saucer Men (1967) came to be to fill an order of AIP films meant for television. Headlined by John Ashley and produced and directed by Larry Buchanan, Eye Creatures spent half its budget on its star. When reissued, the extra the in the title was added. The Best Friends Stage, The Router Ouija Board, Funny Gag Fax, Tom’s Urges, Earl Hollimann, The Rip Taylor Trio. “It was a dull movie and Allstate was there”, “Time to end my film career… NOW!”, “Thus began their legal nightmare.” “Welcome to the third grade” or “Geez he’s getting carded”?

10 Likes

Excerpt from Shout Factory.

5 Likes

Was this movie really “starring” anyone? :woozy_face:

Yes, I know I kyped this (albeit slightly altered) from a much later episode.

1992 was when I discovered the show, so I’ve probably re-watched Season Four more times than any other season. This one could easily get lost in the shuffle, but it stands up over time.

Of course, it’s got this on its side:

And suddenly I’m hungry for… a Bagelwich™ ? :confused:

5 Likes

Good jokes last forever. Apparently Mr. Ashley collected around 50 percent of what money they had. They paid for something. What THAT WAS is anyone’s guess.

3 Likes

Just makes their pre-Rickroll jokes about his appearance even better.

7 Likes

The Mystery Science Theater Hour Wraps on Attack of the the Eye Creatures (1967).

7 Likes

I don’t know why, but I really like this episode. It’s so bad on so many levels (all the “they just didn’t care” stuff, the icky soldier peepers, the smoochers, the weirdo friend guy) that it’s perfect riff fodder. There’s probably something deeply wrong with me.

And the lead female is super cute and I want to buy her a sody pop down at the malt shop.

6 Likes

I’ll have more to say on the episode later, but for now, I’ll say this:

The Rip Taylor Trio is one of the best host segments of the series, full stop.

10 Likes

That closing segment, with Jack getting a piggyback ride from the stagehand, proves conclusively that Weird Al watched the show at least once. (“CNR”)

5 Likes

Gawd I wish they could release this on dvd. I haven’t seen this since it aired. Anyway on how to watch this episode?

5 Likes
5 Likes

It’s a great vid
I’m perplexed where this copy came from ‘cause it’s got the opening episode reel info
And that only comes from a master tape.

3 Likes

I miss the MST Hour. I was a newlywed in college when they did these and it brings back a lot of memories. I wish they’d release a DVD or something with all the MST Hour wraps.

5 Likes

No, those open episode things were broadcast on Comedy Central at the time.

4 Likes

So how did this cool cat get this nice digital vid? I’m not sorry I’m jealous! I want one.

6 Likes

I don’t know, but I say gather ye ye eyes while it’s still up. You know how Le Tube is.

:mag_right:

5 Likes

Eye matey eyes hears ya!

4 Likes

This is my all-time favorite MST3K episode!

6 Likes

“Sister, don’t cross me!”

5 Likes

When Joel goes “AN EYE FOR AN EYE FOR AN EYE FOR AN EYE,” I damn near lose it. Just perfect! :smiley:

6 Likes