“A SPRINKLE A DAY MAKES RICHARD KIEL GO AWAY.”

2 Likes

“DID I LEAVE THE IRON ON?”

3 Likes

“OH NO, HE GOT BEAMED INTO THE SONG OF THE SOUTH.”

4 Likes

“WE VISITED ANTHONY ROBBINS IN HIS PALATIAL HOME IN DEL MAR.”

3 Likes

Although not a favorite, this one is underrated. Yeah, it gets a little talky at times, but the movie is somewhat okay. We’ve got Richard Kiel, Delores Faith, and Hugh Beaumont. Decent cast. The plot is respectable. And the riffing here is above average. I like this one! A sleeper from season 4!

3 Likes

A prime cut of Season 4 without going to the obvious episodes. The commentary is clutch, the flick is absurd, and the whole flies by once you start it. The Richard Kiel impersonations give it a nice bite too. The wacky quotient is pretty choice for the show.

3 Likes

“THIS IS BEVERLY HILLS COP. ONLY THE SLOW WHITE VERSION.”

3 Likes

“YOU RANG? OH WAIT, I’M NOT TED CASSIDY. SORRY.”

3 Likes

Intrigue for starters. Unsavory fascination with the captives is not unheard in these kinds of pictures. The kidnapped girl or innocent frequently excites kindness or hesitation from the force not used to such sweetness and it offers easy jeopardy for our hero to overcome. It brings the story down to earth and offers stakes the viewer can relate to. James Whale’s Frankenstein (1931) even attempted this with the little girl and the flowers. It’s a classic trope we’ve seen time and time again.

1 Like

More like the Human Duplicatorzzzzzzzzzzz…

This ep came in a time where MST was at its peak, but honestly I think this is one of the duller episodes in the pantheon. All the right ingredients were there … but for some reason this soufflé just didn’t rise for me.

1 Like

I have a million things left over from my father’s various film memorabilia collections, but I forgot I had this poster secreted safely behind multiple other posters in a large wooden and glass custom-made poster frame.

5 Likes

Hope this doesn’t sound odd, but the black guy playing the news photographer surprised me.

They give him a semi-decent speaking role.

5 Likes

There are a few episodes which give surprisingly positive roles for black characters. Two I can think of are Twelve to the Moon and First Spaceship on Venus. The black characters aren’t given a whole lot of screen time, but when they are, they’re treated as equals, which is pretty progressive for the early 1960s.

3 Likes

That’s Lon Satton! He would go on to play 007’s CIA friend Strutter in Live and Let Die!

3 Likes

The one in 12 to the Moon lived to see the end, while the one from First Spaceship on Venus got left behind, screaming in impotent fury.

2 Likes

This one is a frequent re-watch for me. An absurd story that has countless chances to become genuinely scary or moving but never does. Like Mitchell, it has that bland, tacky-hued, emotionally constrained and visually dry made-for-TV vibe and I keep having to remind myself that it was actually first seen in a theater.

I bet the Brits or Italians would’ve gone all in and just made an outright horror film of this plot.

Really, the most unwittingly bizarre thing about the story is that we learn from his closing speech that Kolos will return home only to die but we never see his “welcome back.” He isn’t even facing the audience! [sigh] A decent performance from him and the others, though.

Some of my favorite riffs and sketches, too. (And 420! Wooooo!!!)

5 Likes

You are instantly aware this is Season 4. The comedy ignites at once and the movie is pummeled perfectly. This is so easy to watch. Richard Kiel, aliens, robots, and the 60s? Chef’s kiss.

5 Likes

Yup. But with that faint gnawing dissatisfaction that I was also to get from Alien From L.A. later on. There was real potential in the story proper that got scuttled, somehow. You can see it in the aforementioned conclusion and in the climax where the agent sees his duplicate up close. [sigh] Just allow him to scream in terror, Movie! Yes, he’s supposed to be a brave guy but it absolutely would be horrifying as all get-out to see and hear your own “dark spectre” fighting and dying three feet away from you! Let us have this! But, no. [grumble]

4 Likes