421. Monster a Go-Go (1965)

MaGG is my pick for the WORST movie ever featured on MST3K.

8 Likes

Joel laughs and tries to stop Servo’s “agents of Satan” song about the twin skaters.

I think you might have the “Here Comes the Circus” short from The Day the Earth Froze in mind, where Joel chides the 'Bots for using really dark humor, but ends up doing the same thing himself. He demonstrated that same attitude about dark humor in the “Johnny at the Fair” short for The Rebel Set.

13 Likes

I think your right. Another really good short there!

5 Likes

Here Comes the Circus is my favorite MST short!

6 Likes

Not my favorite (Young Man’s Fancy is my fave) but this is definitely up there. Probably my top five.

6 Likes

I have always thought of this, Not Manos, as the absolute worst movie ever featured on the show. However Circus on Ice has to be one of the best shorts of all time: MST3K - Circus on Ice - YouTube

7 Likes

Because of this segment, I affectionately refer to “Escape” as “The Ballad Of Rick And Julie”.

4 Likes

I have won the victory over myself. I LOVE Monster A-Go-Go!

[guzzles gin]

5 Likes

Monster a Go-Go (1965) is on the short list of worst ever experiments. The Castle of Fu Manchu (1969), Monster a Go-Go, Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966), Eegah (1962), The Creeping Terror (1964), The Skydivers (1963), Red Zone Cuba (1966), The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961). Go-Go earns the right to be in that conversation. It is a Black Hole gulping the viewer into Hell and never relinquishing. Its blandness and zero calories of a story hurtle you into a giant joke with no punchline. If having your time wasted is what wounds you most, Go-Go is your #1. Manos is mine because it crept under my defenses and made me care. This combined with its incompetence lingers with me longer than Go-Go. Outside of Manos, not many subjects surpass Go-Go.

7 Likes

Gypsy Doesn’t Get Crow.

9 Likes

The short appears to be from a newsreel and brings back memories of the more obnoxious excesses of exhibition figure skating. This includes an interpretive performance of a fawn being gunned down by a hunter. Sadly, no Torvill and Dean riff was made.

The main feature is nominally about an irradiated astronaut who goes on a rampage. Except that it’s not. In a twist so idiotic even M. Night Shyamalan wouldn’t dare try it, it’s revealed by the intrusive narrator that there was no monster and never had been. It goes on a bit more, but that’s the basic gist. So what was even the point? Apparently, the film’s original director Bill Rebane ran out of money and shelved it. Then splatter shlockmeister Herschell Gordon Lewis bought it and shot the half-baked ending so he could pair it with Moonshine Mountain on a double bill.

7 Likes

MAGG gets my vote for worst movie on MST3K. As bad as some of these movies are, at LEAST you get a complete movie. This one can’t even do THAT right. Sheesh!

On a side note, as any action figure collector can tell you, Johnny Longtorso is real, sort of. They are called “Build-A-Figures”, and you get a small part of a larger figure with the regular figure you just bought. So make sure to get the whole wave! I have several half-built X-men figures due to this (poor Caliban…)

7 Likes

I played this early this morning. The pain is real. I tip my hat to Best Brains on the exemplary quips keeping the void of this pic at bay. And yet beneath the yucks the discomfort is there.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Eegah is a great film in comparison to the others on that list…

3 Likes

My best friend who was just exposed to Eegah (1962) a month ago thanks to years of petitioning would beg to differ with you. He felt the riffing to Manos (1966) stronger and better able to carry the film than Eegah. Eegah has hurt him enough it reconfirms that any of these to the right person can be devastating.

2 Likes

I certainly agree that it’s an equally sleazy picture, but it’s considerably more competent.

3 Likes

He’s independently brought Eegah (1962) up enough and recalled it in detail it left a mark on him. He is of the opinion it is utterly unwatchable and I sense he actually considers Manos (1966) more watchable. That’s what I’m reading from him. To competency? Its story is further accessible though its elements are all over the place and to some quite clashing. This seeming disconnect adds to the anguish where my pal is concerned and why I place it in that group. The others don’t have four movies going on. Eegah does and that crowded contrast and full-on dedication to it compensates for its more conventional story.

1 Like

Eegah has that damn shave-a-thon, and Manos has 30 minutes of Confectioners Sugar Wrestling. Both of these provide a more direct view of what floats their respective creators’ boats than I ever wanted. Monster-A-Go-Go lacks that level of uh… personalization. Which is probably why I find it easier to get through.

The riffs are really great, too. Also, the whole teary rant at the end about having to visit your relatives. Genius!

5 Likes

Manos can at least be salvaged somewhat in the editing room.

1 Like