422. The Day the Earth Froze (1959)

Originally called Sampo (1959), this Soviet-Finnish production lost 24 minutes in the U.S. release known as The Day the Earth Froze. Every scene was filmed 4 times using two cameras as the picture featured either Finnish or Russian dialogue. A pastoral spectacle adapted from Finnish poetry, it is ripe for the riffing. “The Adventures of Fjord Fairlane”, “Kenny G”, “It’s a nice day for a wet wedding.” The fantasy encourages the ribbing and Day embodies what we love about the show. Fool’s Gold or the Real Deal?

15 Likes

I love all of the Russo-Finnish productions but this one is my all-time favorite for sure.

10 Likes

My favorite episode ever.

10 Likes

Absolutely one of my all time favorites.

8 Likes

Snacktion and Unhappy Meals. The Invention Exchange.

9 Likes

Love the Russo-Finnish episodes.

Jack Frost is my all-time favorite episode, The Day the Earth Froze and The Magic Voyage of Sinbad are in my top ten, and The Sword and the Dragon ain’t far behind.

But yeah, Froze is AMAZING. There was one website that tracked the riffing rates of movies, and before the Jonah era, I believe Froze had the most riffs per minute of any MST3K episode. It sure felt that way!

The movie’s as weird as all get out, and BEAUTIFUL. All those Russo-Finnish movies on MST3K shared that.

So many great bits here, like the construction of the SAMPO, the Failure song, and the last surreal battle. Just terrific.

AND you had the Here Comes the Circus short for additional comedic darkness, even if all that Emmett Kelly did was eat stuff.

10 Likes

This may be my favorite episode. It has me crying with laughter every time I watch it. Just classic! And I’m 50% Finnish! Lol!

7 Likes

I didn’t discover MST3K until season 8 was rolling out (yikes!), so I’ve been going back and discovering the classics recently.

There’s something jarring about the title. It recalls sci-fi films of the time like The Day the Earth Stood Still. I was surprised to find it was a Russo-Finnish fairy tale in the style of Jack Frost or The Magical Voyage of Sinbad. I mean, all of the Russo-Finnish MST3Ks have clearly been rebranded to get some name recognition from English-speaking audiences (he’s not Sinbad!), but this is particularly audacious. Look at this poster fer cryin’ out loud:

Who, I ask, were they fooling? Sure, selling it with sci-fi trappings may have gotten some naive butts into seats, but once the film started, how many people did a double take, got out their reading glasses and started squinting at their tickets, wandering back into the lobby in a baffled daze, wondering what the mistake was?

Oh, who am I kidding, this was B-side drive-in double feature fodder, by the time this one came on the screen, the audience had long since checked out.

8 Likes

Now this is more like it! This movie is so delightful and fun. You can really feel the enthusiasm from everyone here!

While I’m here: I do so hope another Russo-Finnish Co-Production shows up on MST3K someday! The new generations need one too!

6 Likes

I’m holding out the hope that we get one for when (not if) Season 14 rolls around.

Those movies are so spectacularly bizarre and gorgeous, and it’d be a shame not to have the new era of MST3K take a crack at one.

7 Likes

So was a more precise explanation of what a sampo is exactly perhaps included in those missing 24 minutes?

I admit this one starts off slow for me. It’s not until the witch appears and we get the whole sampo plot point that the laughs really start coming for me. But each and every one of the riffs either about or during the scenes of the witch and the sampo are comedy gems for me. I get a laugh out of even simple stuff like when the one wizard/gargoyle was begging the witch to spare his life:

Wiz/Gar: “I know some one who can help you build a sampo!”
Witch: “Who?”
Joel: “Murray on third shift!”

That cracks me up every time!

And I should perhaps be ashamed to admit this, but I get perhaps the biggest laugh in the entire experiment out of:

“I’m not the pheasant plucker
i’m the pheasant plucker’s son
I’m only plucking pheasants
Until the pheasant plucker comes.”
(I wonder how many times Trace had to practice that one before shooting it.)

And then all the joyous celebrations in the wedding scenes featuring songs about what a loser our alleged hero has been/is. Hilarious!

I think I’ve read somewhere on these forums that these Russian-Finnish movies had been recently remastered and issued on DVD? The print of the movie used for MST3K is really hard to watch. Even more so because you can tell there was a good budget spent for this film, what with all the costumes, extras, special effects, etc. , so you know that it originally must have been a big screen visual feast.

So, after a slow start (and a scary circus short), The Day The Earth Froze thawed out (see, I did a Gene Shalit right there!) to become one of my favorite episodes. I just wish there were a way to work out a deal to get the new remastered version of the movie used in the MST3K version.

3 Likes

That’s the thing, right? They’re beautiful movies. Sure, we’ve only seen the four on MST3K, but the ones we’ve seen go hard, they’re silly and they’re going for it.

5 Likes

Mmhmm. And they’re very watchable, too, outside of the nice cinematography. They’re genuinely enjoyable films, which makes them something of an outlying bunch on MST3K, but eh, it works!

6 Likes

They’re just warm, feel-good experiments that make you proud to be a fan of this show.

In the Jack Frost bonus feature, Kevin Murphy expresses pure joy with how fun these kind of movies are! One of my favorite Shout! extras.

8 Likes

This is one episode where I would pay a decent amount of money for a version where they swap that ugly print and terrible sound for the HD widescreen print.

I mean look at this: Sampo (1959) Trailer [HD] - YouTube

the movie is beautiful.

5 Likes

I also enjoy these movies. They’re like the antithesis of the Coleman Francis Trilogy.

6 Likes

This is my favorite episode of MST3K.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s crazy how much better that print looks! :scream:

5 Likes

The Sampo is what I named my pantry.

7 Likes

It features Here Comes the Devil! I mean Circus! Which is my go-to short for introducing n00bs to MST.

8 Likes