422. The Day the Earth Froze (1959)

Class my friend. Class. You require that television from that letter in Eegah (1962) to go with it.

5 Likes

The Day The Earth Froze is coming to Blu-ray courtesy of Vinegar Syndrome’s partner label Deaf Crocodile in July, according to Dawn of the Discs on Twitter. It will likely be released under the name Sampo:

To those unfamiliar with Vinegar Syndrome, they are essentially the Criterion Collection of genre/exploitation/obscure movies. Expect a really good remaster, in-depth supplements, a commentary track and awesomely great cover art.

8 Likes

YAY!!!

5 Likes

Why, thank you!

4 Likes

It’s official! There’s a SAMPO up for preorder on Vinegar Syndrome this month:

The cover art is, in my opinion, even better than The Sword and The Dragon’s was. Just like in that previous release, a commentary track is also included. Looking forward to seeing this restoration for the first time later this month!

5 Likes

A press release I saw said that it’ll include an hour-long interview with MST3K’s Mike Nelson, so the blu-ray release is only looking better!

3 Likes

And pre-ordered! Thanks!

4 Likes

I don’t know if I could choose a fave from this genre. Sure, you can pick a favorite child, but in your heart of hearts you always feel that it’s not right to do so. All the love should be equally distributed so no one feels left out. <3

6 Likes

These Russo-Finnish pseudo-historical features leave me feeling a touch ambivalent. They’re not the type of movie I’d normally choose to watch anyway, but the only reason I can see that they are considered “bad” is because some American company or person (cough Corman cough) decided to make a quick buck by editing the heck out of them and putting a cheap and lazy English dub over the top. The results are eminently riffable, but none of it is the fault of the people who actually made the film.

5 Likes

Oh cripes, I remember that day…

5 Likes

Oh, yah, hey, the temperature of that got all the way down to fourteen below zero!

7 Likes

Oh, ya don’t know the half of it!

6 Likes

Eric had to jumpstart the Chevy that day.

6 Likes

Oh yah hey, the snow was yea high and he had to come up the back way he had to.

7 Likes

‘Course I don’t know nothin’ about that.

6 Likes

Then we’d seen when all the schools was closed.

6 Likes

'Course da kids enjoyed dat part.

6 Likes

It was just like the winter of '75 when it got down to 30 below.

6 Likes

Pshaw, that’s just barely below shorts weather.

7 Likes

Oh yah, but when you consider da windchill, ya know, it’s about 100 below.

6 Likes