505. The Magic Voyage of Sinbad (1953)

robin hood flash GIF by Signature Entertainment

6 Likes

Herc and Maciste might have been intended as the same dude, but over the years Maciste became his own thing, had his own series of film, and to me has branched out and become his own separate entity. So yeah, that’s not Hercules in Herc and the Moon Men.

Sinbad/Sadko? I purchased, and am a fan of the original (subtitled) version of the movie, and posted my reasons here…

Though of the restored pictures I caught, Ilya Muromets is the best of the 3 -later Cormanized and covered by MST3k- movies.

As an MST experiment Sinbad’s a comedy ace, one of my top 10 favorites.

4 Likes

So Hercules reproduced … parthenongenetically?

1 Like

Nah - if it walks like a Herc, talks like a Herc, acts like a Herc, sleeps like a Herc and gets seduced by a wicked queen like a Herc then its Herc. :slight_smile:

If a guy makes a movie about Conan the Barbarian but titles it “The Cimmerian” then it isn’t a movie about some other guy named “Cimmerian”. It’s Conan. Then if other people make movies and call the guy “Cimmerian” then its still Conan no matter how badly the writers mistakenly understand what they’re doing or how ignorant they are. Herc Against the Moon Men has a toga-wearing, sword and sandal era, sonuva god with super strength who looks, dresses, talks, falls asleep, bends bars, has queens fall in love with him, walks, acts, and in every way is an absolute copy of Hercules.

It’s Hercules. Anyone who says otherwise is simply mistaken. If some folks want to call him by his historical nickname “Heracles of Maciste” then that’s fine. But its still Hercules.

2 Likes

he is not heracles of my cheesesteak

3 Likes

Shush!

1 Like

I plan to watch a restored unriffed version of this at some point. I think it’s probably visually stunning just based on the washed-out print MST3K has.

5 Likes

Don’t forget “if he sleeps like a Herc.”

3 Likes

All of the Russian fairy tale movies covered by MST3K are quite beautiful to look at. The restored version of Ilya Muromets/Sword and the Dragon just released on Blu Ray is absolutely GORGEOUS. There’s also a new restoration release for Sampo/Day the Earth Froze, but I haven’t been able to watch it yet. Hopefully one will be done soon for Sadko. And Jack Frost too, I guess. I’ve always enjoyed Jack Frost, but I’ve never put it on the same level as the original three.

5 Likes

From what I’ve heard, Jack Frost is a huge deal in Russia and is on TV every year.

2 Likes

Yeah the Jack Frost film was way better quality than the prints used for Day the Earth Froze, Sword and the Dragon, and Magical Voyage of Sinbad. I expect that good prints on Blu Ray (or 4K!) for all these movies would look drop dead gorgeous.

5 Likes

Nope

Same. The ingenuity and expansiveness of the world as sampled in the experiment would blossom restored much as Manos (1966) did. The tiny details and overall reality might have you reconsider the movie. Particularly in its original form.

6 Likes

But the curvy queen who wants to ride Maciste like a horse in Colossus and the Headhunters isn’t evil.

2 Likes

You gotta give it to the Russo-Finn epics … they absolutely did not stint on anything they did. The props, sets, costumes, and everything else they did were lavish in the extreme.

And the big sweeping battle scenes for Sword and the Dragon never crease to amaze me. They really had thousands and thousands of extras, horses, and the whole nine yards for those scenes. The logistics of it are staggering. They pulled it off marvelously and it looks fantastic even in the grainy, icky print that MST used. Everyone loves the Helm’s Deep fight in Two Towers … but there was a lot of CGI carrying the weight in the LotR movies. Sword and the Dragon takes everything LotR did and tells them to hold its vodka.

2 Likes