513. The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962)

The Atomic Brain (1963) is the same. They’d make a great Double Feature.

4 Likes

My biggest gripe about The Atomic Brain is how they keep trying to say the Mexican girl is ugly when she’s just not ugly.

4 Likes

I thought March rejected her just for having a small birthmark on her arm or something like that. Pettiness was her main personality trait, after all.

And I can totally follow Atomic Brain’s plot. I just wish that I couldn’t. :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Along the same lines as Jan begging to die in The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (1962), Anita in The Atomic Brain (1963) had a birthmark that disqualified her as a perfect specimen in the eyes of Dr. Frank and cruel Mrs. March grabbed that and ran with it. So to speak. :laughing:

3 Likes

They also put her in very homely clothing, unlike the other two women.

3 Likes

Correct. We were of the same mind. Only not Atomic I hope. :wink:

2 Likes

It just underscores what terrible planners March, Mad Doc, and Gigolo Joe all were. Why didn’t they just ask prospective hires beforehand if they had birthmarks or scars or whatever? Tsk!

4 Likes

Then the movies would be deprived of their intrigue in the second act. Tsk Tsk! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Modernized Trailer to The Brain That Wouldn’t Die (1962).

1 Like

Hammiest Death Scene Of All Time?

4 Likes

Paul Rubens says hold his beer.

2 Likes

Which role was that?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie, not the TV show).

2 Likes

I wondered if it was that. I haven’t watched the movie. Him as a vampire had my attention. I figured he’d vamp the heck out of it.

1 Like

Story time:

Bought this alongside Mitchell and watched both in the same evening. Going in completely blind, I was so amazed by all the changes. Pretty sure I took to this new guy fairly quickly and made me curious about seeking out more episodes!

Episode proper:

Another tremendously historic episode! Mike does appear, very understandably, nervous at first, but once he gets rolling in the theater, he settles in nicely. It always amazes me how smoothly they transitioned hosts so well here.

But, to kick off this new era: They sure picked one harsh movie to start. The Brain That Wouldn’t Die is a really dark film with some really brutal, uncomfortable moments. That said: Mike and The Bots do an excellent job mining humor out of it. It shows how settled-in they were by Season Five!

512 and 513 are some of the most important duo of episodes in MST3K history! All fans should definitely try to watch them back-to-back if possible.

I’d like to mention one of my favorite moments ever: When Mike refuses to answer The Mads right way.

It lets you know, right from the start, that Mike Is Not Joel. It’s a scene I always appreciate every time I watch this one!

5 Likes

Might not be quite as hammy, but it’s pretty over the top.

2 Likes

This hearkens to my screening of the first three Bonds. Dr. No (1962), From Russia With Love (1963), and Goldfinger (1964) back-to-back-to-back in one night. My 11 year old world was blown and that experience frames how I think of them. Same thing here. Episodes 512 and 513 flow so well together and are two my favorites shows. Whether separate or consecutive, Season 5’s supremacy is evident in how easy these two play and how effortless it all seems.

4 Likes

Perfectly said. Not just owing to how they effected MST but how they represent it. For my money, these are two of the best shows of the series. Period. A unique energy exists between them and they are staples I often return to. Individually or back-to-back. My fondness for them knows no bounds and they symbolize what I adore about Mystery Science Theater.

4 Likes

I also think they were giving some nods to Mike’s introduction and debut in Emily’s first episode! (Things like asking for a work signature and not answering The Mads right away)

4 Likes

Oh absolutely. I thought that too.

3 Likes