513. The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962)

I think I misunderstood the assignment…

5 Likes

Mike’s first episode and I love it! Okay, I’ll admit it! Mike is my favorite host. I discovered the show season eight. Most of my favorite episodes are there. So, Mike’s first episode has special meaning to me. Perfect movie for the show. Overacting, b&w movie with cheesy fx. Good riffing here. Good host segments. Everything clicks. A near perfect transition episode!

3 Likes

Same reason you don’t ask for hip, waist, and bust measurements in the resume (except for Hooters, of course).

1 Like

Back then it was probably a lot more prevalent than we think now. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

And Adult Nightclubs. :no_mouth:

1 Like

“If only I weren’t a southpaw I’d be in a Def Leppard tribute band.”

2 Likes

The Rhino VHS.

2 Likes

“You’ll never get credit for my discovery. Who’s going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow.”

3 Likes

Both Mike and the Bots seem a bit put off by the innate ickiness of this film, as they note in the final segment the message appears to be “trust no one” and the flick is sexist as Hell.

That said, doing one of the rough ones for the start perhaps helped prove Mike could handle the icky ones along with the fun ones.

6 Likes

Trying to remember if this is the one where they mention the great Johnny Hodges. His rep as the guy who played make-out music isn’t entirely fair when you take his whole body of work into account. Also, I love that he did an interview in the 1960s where he was asked about Coltrane and said something like, “Er, my son is very fond of his playing.” :joy:

2 Likes