516. Alien From L.A. (1988)

Well, at least it didn’t prevent her from making millions. [salutes]

4 Likes

Here’s a different side of Kathy with a less annoying voice. Warning, since it’s a Basic Instinct parody, it contains a gratuitous beaver shot.

4 Likes

She’s one of the richest women in the world, isn’t she?

4 Likes

She is one of the richest Models in the world, though she can’t quite keep up with the Kardashians these days. She doesn’t even come close to the top 10 richest women in the world.

4 Likes

It helps it be noticed. It is distinct. Almost as if Terry Gilliam directed.

6 Likes

And Deep Roy is always fun. He was one of the few things I liked about Tim Burton’s Willy Wonka film.

5 Likes

2 Likes

I love this episode. The sketches are great, and the movie is good riffing material but it’s not grossly incompetent or a tedious slog through a black and white wasteland. At the time it came out, this was a pretty newish movie by MST3K standards, and it was kind of cool to see something more modern.

7 Likes

Believe it or not, Robot Holocaust was made 4 years before it was on MST3K.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Really like this one! The movie is bold, ambitious, creative and reasonably well made. It’s incredibly cheesy, no doubt, but the overall presentation is really cool. It’s emphatically 80s.

Alien From L.A. is constantly moving and throwing out ideas or bizarre characters. Mike and The Bots usually have the right response to all of it!

Really love the bonus Host Segment they preform during those extremely long end credits!

Great proper Host Segments too! Features my favorite Invention Exchange of the Mike era!

This is underrated classic for me! There’s just something feel-good about it.

6 Likes

Same. A late 80s movie on MST then? Pretty nice! It always surprised me more Cannon pictures weren’t used for the show. Golan Globus was its own world as this film perfectly illustrates.

4 Likes

A relative rarity on Mystery Science that closeness. Normally there’s distance. Cost of acquisition, having a reputation as a bad movie, self-awareness disqualifying recent efforts, newer productions present problems that in the past made using them a little harder. One can’t rule out expense. The newer the junk the greater the asking price. Were it a studio release. Independent flicks were easier.

3 Likes

A companion piece alongside City Limits (1985). 80s dystopia. From above and below. Both featuring talents that are best remembered for then versus now.

4 Likes

I have an unhealthy obsession with this episode. What makes me sad is that all of my friends for the most part hate it. This movie is such an over the top camp romp I can’t help but love it. The movie is a lot like Manos, once you’ve seen it you never forget it. Such a massive production for such a strange premise. Love this episode so much and so many great riffs too.

6 Likes

I love that the later seasons of the show would sit through the credits and do these kind of segments.

6 Likes

Definitely one of the best of season 5. I love the dystopian sci-fi movies like this one and Escape 2000. Neat premise and although it’s low budget it’s still lots of fun. The worst part of this movie is also the best part; Kathy Ireland. As a child of the eighties I always thought Kathy was the most beautiful of the super models (sorry Cindy Crawford). And she gorgeous here. That’s the good. The bad? Kathy’s acting! And that voice!

4 Likes

I do miss having closing credits in the current episodes. Even though the post-game shows provide some related amusement.

4 Likes

The voice belongs in its own zipcode. Right next to Atlantis!

3 Likes

I could never figure out why they referred to Kathy as “the big boned girl”. Kathy’s tall but hardly big boned. (Speaking as a teen from the eighties she’s perfect)!

5 Likes