518. The Atomic Brain (1963)

mst3k518warning

Also also, I love the melodramatics over the gang leader being vehemently adamant about the students not attending the city council meeting.

“I wouldn’t advise any of you to go to that meeting if I were you… I’M WARNING YOU.”

What kinda Snidely Whiplash nonsense is that?

5 Likes

One last thought… Also the creative impulses (and I say that loosely) aren’t on the same wavelength as general knowledge or information. People go off into scenarios, concepts, creations, and they get lost in their imagination and they stumble on things they think are new and untried and to them they are before reality hits. I suspect (but don’t know) this is what went down here. I too can’t believe this actually happened. Welcome to “Truth being stranger than Fiction.”

2 Likes

I’m convinced that every last one of these shorts has a script that was scribbled onto a soggy bar napkin by day-boozers too impatient to wait for Happy Hour. Nothing else explains it all.

2 Likes

Hey, wait a minute, that’s the story of Invasion U.S.A.!

3 Likes

Tom Weaver also realized the irony in the Monstrosity (1963) Blu Commentary that Marjorie played a cat lady in a latter role. I’m struggling to pin down the part. IMDB isn’t giving me enough to go on.

3 Likes

Hmmm… got me stumped on that one.

2 Likes

I hear they’re still talking about Zoning Stuff at that city hall meeting.

5 Likes

mst3k518questionmark

Prince’s new name!

(Or is that Frank Gorshin’s new name?)

5 Likes

The film is Street Music (1981). Eaton portrayed an eccentric old woman who raises cats.

3 Likes

Oh, sweet deal, solid job tracking that down!

3 Likes

Just tell 'em you’re the next Kubrick.

2 Likes

In a film full of semi-quasi-acceptable guano sci-fi insanity all over the place, we can’t overlook the hilarity of the mansion having a NUCLEAR SELF-DESTRUCT BUTTON.

5 Likes

Easily accessed and set off BY A CAT!!!

4 Likes

FOR SERIOUS

Like, you’d THINK they’d have some safeguards in place, SOMETHING.

4 Likes

Bots being Mads. Mads being Bots. Invention Exchange.

5 Likes

Trace doing Dr. Forrester doing Crow. Trace doing Crow doing Dr. Forrester. So good.

6 Likes

Rhino’s cover art on the VHS.

2 Likes

Expanded view.

1 Like

Oh, and how could I forget? Vy Russell co-wrote this movie AND co-wrote The Indestructible Man.

1 Like

The short has not aged well. Notwithstanding their beating up a guy for sitting at a stop sign for too long, the threat posed by these would be punks isn’t that convincing. The proposed restrictions by the more hardline members of the city council are also comical in how over the top they are.

Meanwhile, the feature is another foray into mad science, where the Tampering in God’s Domain involves reanimating corpses and swapping brains between bodies employing atomic energy. The whole purpose is that miserly biddy Mrs. March wants to be young and beautiful and has hired three foreign women under false pretenses as domestics. The only authentic accent belongs to Nina, whose actress is originally from Germany. The others (particularly Bea) are not that convincing. The rest of the film moves at a sluggish pace and is quite tedious. The one truly distinctive aspect is the audio. As well as poorly synced ADR and unusual music selections, there’s a narrator that pops in from time to time. He mostly expresses the inner thoughts of the antagonist characters, sometimes switching between characters in mid-narration to jarring effect.

If there’s someone to blame for this, it would be Sue Dwiggins. For most of her career, she was a production secretary. Though she did manage a couple other writing credits, this movie appears to have been her personal dream project. As well as writing and producing, she also did props, assistant camera, wardrobe, and script supervision.

3 Likes