520. Radar Secret Service (1950)

Why don’t they look?

Well, if they used the awesome power of RADAR they wouldn’t have to!

Need to know if Jerry is on the way? (You know, Jerry, your neighbor who won’t stop talking.) RADAR! Need to track a smuggler’s truck? RADAR! Need to find your lost keys? RADAR! Need to reheat your dinner? RADAR! Need to put some lead in your pencil nudge nudge? RADAR! Need help moving next week? RADAR! Need help telling any of these blocky guys apart? Well, you’re on your own there. Even RADAR has its limitations.

4 Likes

And in a fifth the time.

3 Likes

I think I just had a Fu Manchu moment, I don’t remember what that is, but just reading off the title has generated a small pang of deeply buried annoyance and dread (or is is disgust?).

The kind of sudden unlocking of something unpleasant that couldn’t be depicted for the screen better than by the legend that is, Norman:
giphy-3992164287

…I wonder if RADAR can smooth out the butter on my toast? Or better yet become a butter replacement. We mere people can never truly know the mind-bending mysteries of RADAR.

5 Likes

Radar Secret Service (1950). Full Movie.

2 Likes

And The Oscar Goes To.

2 Likes

Wait, 57 minutes?!

That really is the power of Hypno Helio Static Stasis. I would’ve sworn even riffed those numbers would’ve been reversed.

At what point does it get disqualified as “feature-length” and just gets relegated to “an over-running TV episode,” only RADAR knows for sure.

6 Likes

The mileage varies on feature length dependant on what you consult. 90 minutes, 2 hours. According to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, “a feature length motion picture must have a running time of more than 40 minutes to be eligible for an Academy Award.” By that logic, Radar Secret Service (1950) qualifies as feature length if nothing else.

4 Likes

Actually yeah, that’s a fair point. I’m not thinking in reels. An hour film like RSS would’ve been six reels (or “three” for projectionists), that does count as enough to be a feature.

Amazing how such a short movie (by later 70-90 minute habits anyway) can feel so drawn out.

4 Likes

T-Men?

1 Like

3 Likes

I actually really like this episode! A hilariously dark short and a preposterous crime film. Jean-Pierre Melville this is NOT. And it also marks the return of Monkey Boy!

8 Likes

Yeah, this one is a pleasure for me. It’s just such fun hearing about all the uses for Radar that the feds can use. I learned so much about Radar. And I love seeing those huge, old cars running around. With those extra soft suspensions. I’m surprised they didn’t have Radar in them as well.

The short, while riffed beautifully, always was a little too ham-fisted for me. The cop spends the whole evening telling the kid about the dangers of train tracks and how gruesome the accidents can be. Apparently, the kid got the wrong message. So, even before the cop had a chance to leave, the kid is like…

“Train collisions sound boss! Don’t mind if I do.”

If only the train’s Radar was put to better use.

Why don’t they look?

7 Likes

“You’re deep, Ernie.”

5 Likes

I really like this film. Like important music, it has holes between the words wherein I can add my own story. I watch Radar at least three times a year.

5 Likes

I feel the experiment riffs weren’t quite as successful here in making something out of the vast nothingness of the film.

I didn’t laugh nearly so often as I did during SkyDivers or Starfighers.

That said, “Last Clear Chance” remains one of their darkest and most brilliant shorts and spawned callbacks that lasted for years after.

5 Likes

Oh, man I love this one so much. The story’s tedium is just as relentless as it is in Lost Continent, and yet the movie goes by much faster. I feel it would get more love from the average fan if not for it being in black and white. As with I Accuse My Parents, the actors try-- except for the director’s mistress-- even though I’m guessing that they all knew this was drek.

The running joke about the car attachment, the fistfight over which guy is duller, the brassy server’s inner monologues… Our Heroes give it everything they’ve got, and it works! All hail the power of Hinder 90™ !!

6 Likes

I ACCUSE MY PARENTS is golden.

4 Likes

Just based on Mom’s sea anemone hat, I’d bet it had twice the budget of this movie, too. :wink:

6 Likes

This episode DOES have one of my favorite running gag riffs:

♫ Oh, those Golden Grahams! OH, THOSE GOLDEN GRAHAMS! ♫

5 Likes

As part of this perfect breakfast now served with Radar.

4 Likes