523. Village of the Giants (1965)

My favorite riff on this, is when the giants get the adults to turn in their weapons: “The NRA nightmare.”

4 Likes

It looks like someone took Kolchak’s yellow Mustang convertible.

2 Likes

Overall I enjoy the running gags. To use your example, “doodads” from The Mask didn’t bother me because it didn’t seem like it was every other comment. Sure, it was for a period of time, but it was fresh in our minds, and then it dropped off. Rebecca working it in as part of her role as the landlady was perfect. It had to be done because of how silly it was in the movie. To tell the truth, I thought she was better as the landlady than she is as Synthia, but that’s another topic for another thread.

Even though you didn’t mention it, I feel compelled to point out that Space Mutiny’s “many names of Dave Ryder” doesn’t bother me in the least, because even though they mostly have the same timbre, at least M&TB are saying different things each time. And it pays off with Servo’s “Bob Johnson”.

Interestingly, “Rocky”–“Again?” works for me. Maybe it’s like you said, it depends on what they’re running with. At least it’s referring to something, while “Jim Begg” is just the actor’s name, repeated ad nauseum every time the guy finishes a line. Say the guy’s name constantly because it’s two syllables and it may have entertained somebody–or multiple somebodies–in the writing room? To me, that’s lazy.

1 Like

At least we’re finally discussing this as a community, even if we have differing opinion on it. For me, I can’t stand the running jokes in Agent For H.A.R.M. and Space Mutiny, but conversely I don’t mind the Village of the Giants ones. I guess we’re all the same, but different.

3 Likes

I am all about running gags and love 'em every time. They tickle my funny bone, and when they wear out their welcome they become even better to me.

3 Likes

“Chief?” “MCCLOUD?”

5 Likes

I believe this is the only MST3K movie I have a poster for, but my wife hates the sexist nature of the poster, so she won’t let me display it. We only have two nice poster frames and a ton of posters to choose from, so we went with 2001: A Space Odyssey and Zardoz.

To be fair, it’s not a very attractive poster.

4 Likes

Other than occasional riffbacks, they don’t use running gags in more than one episode. That would be hacky and lazy, which is anathema to the ethos of Best Brains.

1 Like

By this time, my lungs were aching for air.

4 Likes

They do though. For example, “saaaaaaaay… oh.” They did that in a bunch of episodes.

2 Likes

I doubt there were any teenagers. Many of them were beyond high school age.

3 Likes

Weirdly enough, Kino Lorber Studio Classics digitally remasted Village of the Giants in 4K. The visual upgrade is incredible. Before you ask, yes, it’s part of my movie collection. Please don’t judge.

5 Likes

Too late.

2 Likes

Bang!

3 Likes

When we heard they were releasing the film, we sent a request to see about maybe including our voice on an audio commentary.

…they never responded. Also, the guy who does give commentary, seems to not be a big fan of Tommy Kirk.

3 Likes

Interesting.

So, thoughts on the movie: it’s a neat one, and one I might rewatch. The fact that the kid that plays Genius wound up being a rather iconic star amuses me.

You also have to give it up to a song that manages to work as a tribute to TV’s Frank and Frank Zappa solely on the basis that it doesn’t actually say anything about the person it’s about other than that the guy is named Frank.

It’s also fun that they got one of the actresses in as an interview. Unfortunately, it looks like age caught up with her.

2 Likes

Not so much age, as it was her being really into tanning. I think sometime in the 60’s, she really went all-in, and I could see that for myself when I saw her in person.

1 Like

You need all the mirth you can muster trying to get through “Timelash.”

1 Like

Just think… one of the people in this movie is now considered a legitimate and serious (and award-winning) actor and another is one of the most acclaimed directors of our time.

5 Likes

And hey Mickey, you’re so fine. You’re so fine you blow my mind.

5 Likes