523. Village of the Giants (1965)

Oh right, Toni Basil too! So a hit singer as well.

6 Likes

Aaaaaaaah, I see. Darn you, fashionable, yet poorly thought out trends!

1 Like

When I watched this episode for the first time, I thought that it teetered right on the edge of becoming a darker film. Something about those teens seemed sinister. They were drinking and driving right at the beginning of the movie, IIRC.

3 Likes

Yeah, the film definitely feels like it could have gone darker. Even in reviewing the copies of the shooting script I perused, there were going to be a few scenes that showed the danger they posed.

Like this one, from the second night where they hold a giant dance party after taking over:

324. INT. HOUSE #2 - (NIGHT)
A woman and a child are seated round a table, just rising as the building shakes. The child is crying, reaching for its mother. She grabs it up, runs o.s. There is another crash of breaking glass. The ceiling fixture, plaster and part of the ceiling crashes down on the table where the two had been sitting moments before.

Or the results of Fred using a tree to “punish Mike” for trying to escape town, and this is what Mike does:

Torn, dishevelled and bleeding, he picks himself up, turns wearily away, begins to stagger back towards the town.

I felt with the proper technology, Bert could really have made them a menace. In fact, on my fanpage, I added in some fanfiction based around some darker ideas (including an ending that I felt would really have made the townspeople fear the giants).

https://www.angelfire.com/weird2/villageoftheg/fanfiction.html

5 Likes

Well, at least the money shot on the poster is in the film.

It isn’t like Attack of the 50 Foot Woman where the poster is more exciting than the final product.

2 Likes

We thought we’d share where our questioning minds led us over the last few weeks: to create a prop replica of the “goo in a jar” as seen in Village of the Giants. It’s as close as we can get, but we even went nuts finding the Ball “Perfect Mason” jar style as seen in the film too.

We may give our version of the goo a revamp in the future, but it turned out pretty convincing if you ask us.

10 Likes

I immediately knew what it was even before I scrolled down to the reference shot, so yeah, I’d say it’s pretty convincing.

3 Likes

Would it be wise to put a warning label on that?

3 Likes

@DigThatNittyGritty I forgot all about the fact that I own this poster.

7 Likes

I still want to know who did the art for this.

5 Likes

I wanted to display it but my wife won’t let me because it’s too lurid.

2 Likes

It is hard to deny Johnny Crawford’s smoldering sex appeal.

4 Likes

Reminds me of my own thoughts if I had a copy.

It definitely isn’t something I’d want up if family came over (only a handful of people know of the website I maintain).

4 Likes

Sometimes, I wonder if there were jettisoned interstitial ideas for this episode, that got tossed when they made their tribute to Frank Zappa.

I often think how in each of Bert I Gordon’s other films, they found something to make fun of, but they pretty much ignore the main story of VOTG entirely.

I mean, it doesn’t seem like they downright hate it like a few others, but they just tend to ignore it for the entire segment. Did they ever do something like this with any other films?

3 Likes

Fire Maidens from Outer Space had its own little plotline unrelated to the film.

3 Likes

And it is done!

Finished my herculean task of meticulously copying the original final draft, and final draft with revisions of the Village of the Giants script, for downloadable perusal…and it only took me 2 months of feeling like my eyes were going to explode trying to get the font and text to line up (in truth, I could have probably saved 25% of the time if I had just scanned the pages at the local library instead of using the phone-scanner app which scrunched up some of the stuff).

Plus, I straightened up some of the lines, and added some little imperfections like the main script pages, and even colored the revision pages as accurately as I could. (Plus, you have no idea how mind-numbing it is trying to keep the quality of the page imagery and keep each draft item under 16mb! I couldn’t find a straight answer on how to do it and had to experiment over several days).

Also went the extra mile, and cleaned up the wardrobe info imagery, and redid all the images for the script page comparisons section.

And for good measure, the inclusion of the script in this section means I have retired the old Shooting Script page, and sunsetted my MST3K ep and final film transcripts, thus moving my Gail Gerber Fan Gallery back into the main info page buttons.

https://www.angelfire.com/weird2/villageoftheg/production_materials.html

Yes…I have issues.

1 Like

This is a strictly middle-of-the-road episode for me. I enjoy the riffs but they’re never quite enough to distract me from the horror of being subjected to Mr. B.I.G.'s fetishes so directly, nor from how hard I want to slap both Beau Bridges Brummel and whoever supplied his pharmacopia of “candy.” [sigh]

And yeah, the “funny” ending. My latest conspiracy theory is that the hapless farm couple from Last Clear Chance had just seen that movie and they staged the train “accident” to end it all because they were so disgusted with that wrap-up but the theater owner wouldn’t refund their ten cents.

1 Like

Recently I’ve been wondering what it might have been like had the crew actually done host segments based on the film. Maybe in a feverish haze, I may post some of my thoughts here. Really surprised after what they had done with some previous BIG episodes, they couldn’t come up with anything for this film.

1 Like

Instead, they did the Frank gets fired story line, and made an instant all-timer IMO

2 Likes