603. The Dead Talk Back (1957)

Videotaping Comedy Central as a teenager, I collected the tapes. Village of the Giants (1965), 12 to the Moon (1960), Invasion U.S.A. (1952), The Dead Talk Back (1957), The Creeping Terror (1964), The Skydivers (1963), Red Zone Cuba (1966). Scrunching three shows per cassette, I cared about having them not how they looked. The Dead Talk Back is one I remember. Recorded on a Sunday, I felt dirty watching it. Life after death, the Ed Wood feel, the brutal murder, it had me at Hello. Fire Drill, Nelson Cigarettes, The Selling Wizard, Radio Talk Show, “Cosmic Freight Train”, Interrogation, “Allllllllviiin!!!” “Isn’t this a Mahler symphony?”, “Certain actors own their roles. Farnese is Mr. Krasker. Simply brilliant”, “Tonight’s Episode. The Dead Go Fishing.” “Ironically he’s dead now” or “I started sharpening a curtain rod”?

11 Likes

The Selling Wizard (1954).

4 Likes

The Dead Talk Back.

2 Likes

Cosmic Freight Train.

10 Likes

Interrogation.

3 Likes

Alllllllviiin!!!

2 Likes

Theme Song, Fire Drill, and Nelson Cigarettes.

3 Likes

This is my favorite Season 6 episode!

4 Likes

Mine too! It’s one that’s ageless and I’m able to slip it in anytime!

5 Likes

Best of 603.

3 Likes

Raymond Millburn Interrogated.

4 Likes

Raymond Confesses.

3 Likes

603 Promo.

3 Likes

Note: The Dead Talk Back (1957) while finished in 1957 never saw theatrical release. It sat on a shelf till 1993 when it was discovered then sold on home video. This is where Frank Conniff likely found it.

5 Likes

“A young Bob Dylan is concerned.” “Ughllll!”

5 Likes

“The Loneliness of the Long Distance Dweeb.”

5 Likes
10 Likes

It’s a weird film, a good episode, and possibly the closest we get to the mystery part of MST3K. We also get the strangely dressed Pizza Dominatrix, who at least makes an ad for freezers memorable, and Crow’s Jerry Garcia solo. Legend has it that somewhere deep in space you can still hear him playing.

6 Likes

At Horrid Temp Job No. 472 or so, I worked in a warehouse where the main product was hipster sportswear. They would blast commercial radio all day long. Which meant the same 10-30 songs all day long, not to mention constant repetition of all the ads. One day, I heard the Budweiser ad one time too many in the middle of helping out with shipping returns. (Which was one of the more obnoxiously tedious procedures you could be stuck with.) As the radio announcer pompously listed all the wonderful pure ingredients and pre-artisanal crafty magic which went into their production, I lost it. I slammed down whatever gaudy, over-priced junk I was fussing over and burst out with, “…AND YET, THIS IS THE RESULT!!”

I got a couple of confused looks from the surrounding work stations, but most of the other hapless drones were too lost in their own personal Hells to notice anything.

6 Likes

Doesn’t that count as torture? And at least you didn’t end up temping at an underground lab for a couple of mad scientists.

5 Likes