603. The Dead Talk Back (1957)

“Design for Dreaming” from 12 to the Moon is different in its execution, but carries a similar vibe.

6 Likes

Also, the Gizmoplex subtitles on this one seemed kind of poor?

1 Like

I mean, the vistas he shot were so breathaking.

1 Like

Apparently he thought so. Part of why we had those long driving scenes, I believe. But what can you say? He was a fertilizer salesman. He specialized in selling bleep.

3 Likes

And his selling a dream to investors and audiences which also happened to be bleep. Being around bleep and perhaps being full of it, nullifies your awareness of it around. Manos (1966) is a masterclass of self-deception and keeping one’s eyes on the prize so that everything else fails to register.

1 Like

A cautionary fable about what happens when you have all of the ambition and none of the talent.

5 Likes

This statement does not apply to Aldo Farnese as Henry Krasker, who absolutely brought ALL THE TALENT to The Dead Talk Back.

6 Likes

As vivid and iconic as Torgo or The Master?

4 Likes

Definitely not as iconic. We can spot a Torgo or a Master at a convention, but would be far less likely to see (much less identify) a Henry Krasker.

masteremmy

Case in point, consider Elizabeth Ito, the creator of City of Ghosts, showing up to nab some Emmys while wearing the Master’s robe.

As vivid, though? ABSOLUTELY.

5 Likes

Certain actors own their roles.

Farnese is Mr. Krasker.

6 Likes

So he BOUGHT a pair of SHOES…!

6 Likes

“A little butt of a film.”

:rofl:

4 Likes

I need you all to appreciate that, every now and then, I am tormented by the earworm of Mike vocalizing “TOOT TOOT-TOOT TOOT” along with the introduction-level jazz in this movie.

6 Likes

Reaching such an exalted level of musicianship is my life’s goal!

(Drunken marriages and unplanned kids? Not so much.)

4 Likes

Shhh.

Jazz.

6 Likes

it turns out that it was the jazz that talked back all along

5 Likes

Like Elevator Muzak.

3 Likes

Fun fact: the Muzak makers rebranded as MOOD at some point. This is a leftover bit of useless knowledge from when I did Accounts Payable for a large regional home decor chain. All the invoices passed through my hands at some point. Taking “pay the piper” to the next level. Kind of. :wink:

4 Likes

Back 6 months later, still never failing to giggle wildly at this.

8 Likes

Oh, it’s true!

4 Likes