605. Colossus and the Headhunters (1963)

An Italian Sword and Sandal? Where’s the handbag? Big chest, vulnerable queen, prisoners, heathens, a body count. It’s enough to make DeMille blush. Samson and Delilah (1949), Quo Vadis (1951), The Ten Commandments (1956), Ben-Hur (1959), Spartacus (1960), El Cid (1961). These epics put this to shame. Headhunters, second-rate Hercules, a suspension bridge. Road to nowhere? Taxes, World’s Most Adorable Pet, “Nummy Muffin Coocol Butter”, Shedding, Sick Frank, Reunion. “Colossus and the Headhunters. The struggles of a Greek Immigrant in a tough job market”, “Starring the law firm of Morris Brown and Leroy”, “Oh you know I had Malatesta one time. It made me itch like crazy.” “This movie is like a storm raging inside you” or “Another Italian Government collapses”?

4 Likes

Note: By “big chest”, I refer to Colossus and his physique. Something Mike and the Bots reference throughout. The male body is a staple in these movies.

2 Likes

World’s Most Adorable Pet, Nummy Muffin CooCool Butter, Shedding, Sick Frank, & Reunion.

3 Likes

Personally, I prefer the Forbin Project.

2 Likes

The Rainbow Gathering.

2 Likes

Dad Bod Assortment.

2 Likes

Best of 605.

1 Like

Wedding Dance.

2 Likes

@TheHippy Remember this?

1 Like

Unfortunately, not well enough to comment. I don’t believe I have seen it since they left SciFi, as it is not in my collection, and not available in the Gizmoplex. I do have the Shout! DVD on my wish list, but it has a lot of company right now. It is apparently Swords and Sandals without Herc, so that should at least be entertaining.

3 Likes

He’s Herc without calling him Herc. He’s buff. He lifts two men at once. He exhibits superhuman strength. He’s Hercules but they call him Maciste instead. Colossus is not a name used in the movie.

3 Likes

“Maciste” first appears in cinema in 1914’s Cabiria, which is also the first epic. (It may also be the first film with a moving camera? That seems unlikely but I’ve heard that.)

The screenwriter was literate enough to know that (some variant of) Maciste was Hercules’ surname (Makisto?) apparently, but subsequent filmmakers just fell back on that name because of its cinematic tradition.

IOW, it should be understood to be Hercules, even if subsequent films didn’t realize that. :laughing:

4 Likes

I have no idea what kind of name Colossus is supposed to be or who it alludes to. Not that it matters, since it’s really Maciste. What’s weird is that he gets called Maciste in the English dub instead of the weird made up name in the title. So really, what was the point?

One of the more implausible moments in the film occurs early on when Maciste helps some islanders escape death by volcano. The raft used to transport them is a tiny affair that’s standing room only and has no visible supplies. And somehow, we’re expected to believe that they could have traveled several days under such conditions. After that, it’s a typical Sword & Sandal plot of a treacherous court flunky attempting to usurp the throne from the rightful ruler. One of the more significant differences is that the requisite curvy queen who desires to get into the loincloth of the well-oiled beefcake protagonist is not evil for once.

4 Likes

My memory of the skits (which were hilarious) almost obliterated all memory of the actual film, starring our alleged hero Colossus/“My Cheese Steak”….

Favorite film riffs all center on the guys noting just how odd these civilizations are….and how ridiculously passive the hero is.

And yes, how so many, many skinny extras were chosen just to make Cheese Steak look better.

5 Likes

This episode is kinda’ underrated. It has the amusing Nummy Muffin sketches, it’s full of first-rate riffs, and the bland but coherent plot of the movie itself makes it (IMHO) a good one to consider for making new fans. It’s silly but not depressing or ultra-weird in the way that some more legendary episodes are.

One of the noteworthy things about the film itself is how the enemy tribe is coded as “uncivilized” compared to the heroes. Not just because they chop off heads, but because of their overall appearance.

Oh, and hey-- a little guy-candy never hurts. :wink:

1 Like

I love all the sword and sandal movies they riffed on, and this one is no exception.

“Colossus parts ferns with his bare hands!”
“Colossus has got to something heroic! He’s survived a flesh wound. That’s all he’s done!”
“I am NOT your cheesesteak!”
“Our children can’t be raised headhunters.”

4 Likes

I love love love any moment where Colossus uses a grapplehold and says something like “AH C’MERE, YOU RUMMIES”

It feels like this episode doesn’t really get talked up enough, that it kinda falls through the cracks, you know?

6 Likes

This movie also desperately tries to start in medias res to build up tension with the volcano already in progress, but they don’t really do it very well. The way that Maciste just strolls up and tells them all to follow him is a weird beginning.

“I’m on the edge of despair again!”
“Skinny extras make Colossus look bigger!”

1 Like