616. Racket Girls (1951)

Oh Racket Girls! Dear, sweet Racket Girls! I absolutely adore this episode and the wonderful short that goes with it! This one reminds me of The Starfighters where they had to find new and interesting ways to riff the refueling scenes, only here, it’s the wrestling scenes. And they knock it out of the park! Joe, Peaches, Mr. Big, and of course, Clara and Rita give this movie an amateur feel to it. Nobody can act, and that adds to the fun. Add the Leopard lady and Panther woman and the episode becomes almost transcendent! Look for the wonderful cameo by Timothy Busfield!

5 Likes

I sure do oops :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just in case anyone forgot this movie’s contribution to the craft of screenwriting, and this is a direct quote:

“AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

2 Likes

“AAAH!”

2 Likes

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

It’s one of those lines from the movies you can quote forever!

3 Likes

Doughy Midwest guys. I keep telling you folks: they’re all basically the same. :wink:

2 Likes

Boy that wasn’t so with the fanbase in the 90s. The Joel vs Mike wars were LEGENDARY. :expressionless:

1 Like

Which is why I always bring up that phrase. Sometimes you’ve gotta’ mess with 'em. :grin:

3 Likes

Fair Enough. LOL!!! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Truly, a phrase I never expected to encounter in this or any other lifetime.

I agree completely. I sure feel like I need to take a shower after watching this one because it feels so sleazy. Just imagining the audience of “filmgoers” who would have “enjoyed” this type of fare makes my skin crawl. The movie’s original title and ads seemed targeted to a rather select subset of film buffs.

Ah, Peaches Page! Truly a ray of sunshine in this otherwise dark and slimy night of a movie. For me, she lights up the screen in every scene she is in simply because every one and everything around her is so drab, unattractive and scuzzy. I recently watched this episode a couple months ago for the first time in years, and when Peaches Page made her appearance I was every bit as glad to see her as Mike and the bots were to see Krankor in Neptune Men.

My other favorite character was the bookkeeper Monk. He has a weaselly voice that reminds me of Jon Lovitz’s Tommy Flanagan character (“Yeah – that’s the ticket!”) and I like the foolproof evidence he has that one of the number runners has been skimming the profits – “She used to live in a cheap hotel room. Now she lives in a fancy apartment!” One gets the idea that to him, a fancy apartment would have both a sink and a tub.

Perhaps Tom Servo summed it up best when he called Racket Girls “like a stag film produced by the League of Women Voters”.

8 Likes

The movie doesn’t deliver on it’s title promise…

7 Likes

That would be another film- Racquet Girls.

6 Likes

And then there was that legendary Swiss production: Raclette Girls! :cheese:

4 Likes

And the all singing, all dancing, Rockette Girls

5 Likes

And then there are the Raggedy Girls.

4 Likes

Not related to Racket Girls at all, it just dawned on me that “doughy Midwest guys” is the phrase I’ve been looking for all these years to describe my “type”. …This is a humbling moment for me :neutral_face::joy:

2 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

The wedding segment in this episode was hilarious when Dr. Forrester got fed up with the tourists that it led to everyone (including the SOL Crew) beating each other up, The kicker was when Gypsy whacked Mike with her head and puts Tom into her mouth! :joy::joy::joy:

Seriously, a robot wedding that’s stopped by everyone wrestling!? Silliest thing I’ve ever seen!

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Studios 2016

6 Likes

I keep forgetting that Timothy Farrell (right) was in Glen Or Glenda and The Violent Years, too!

4 Likes

As I said above, he’s actually playing the same character he played in another film, making Racket Girls a sequel!

Edit: Sorry, I said that in a different thread.

From IMDB:

The character Umberto Scalli boldly returns from 1949’s The Devil’s Sleep. Making this movie a sequel. When being deposed, the investigator even seems to refer to Scalli’s history in that previous move. Scalli, apparently something of a one trick pony, sets up a similar operation.

4 Likes