702. The Brute Man (1946)

This is the season 7 episode I like the least, which is probably more of a statement of how much I like most season 7 episodes as it is a dig at this episode. The Chicken of Tomorrow is a great short, one of the best. I don’t find anything really memorable in the host segments, though there are some funny bits like Mike calling his ex-girlfriend. The movie itself is a huge downer for me though, so I have a hard time getting into the riffs at points.

A big problem with the movie is that The Brute Man is supposed to be an unlikable character, but Rondo’s portrayal makes him much more sympathetic than he should be. The whole thing makes me uncomfortable, so the only time I want to laugh at it is when Rondo isn’t on screen. You don’t even have to know much about Rondo’s career to get that feeling either. I certainly didn’t know anything about Rondo Hatton the first time I saw this episode.

This also is not exactly my favorite genre of film for MST3K, either. Give me a cheesy Sci-fi movie from the '80s any day of the week, and make it post apocalyptic for bonus points. Ah well, you can’t expect every episode of a season to be the best ever, and season 7 may otherwise have the best percentage of top-notch episodes.

7 Likes

He’s subsequently become a legend. Enough so, an annual ceremony is held once year to give out Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards to worthy horror films and horror releases. It’s considered quite an honor.

3 Likes

An improved pic of the Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award.

5 Likes

How do we get one of this season’s horror episodes nominated for a Rondo?

1 Like

The Mask 3D (1961) is a prime candidate.

2 Likes

First ever Halloween Special and a black and white 3D horror film? A Rondo natural.

3 Likes

I remember my introduction to Rondo Hatton was The Rocketeer in which prosthetic makeup is used to give the main henchman Rondo’s face. An odd but well intentioned tribute.

5 geek points to you! I wonder if the movie might have inspired Alicia’s creation in the comics. But then, I suppose it’s only fitting for Ben’s girlfriend to be a blind sculptor.

I’m glad that Rondo was able to exploit his disability to make the best of the situation. And that the movie does take some time to make the character somewhat sympathetic. But more, I’m glad that the MSTies here see and remember the tragedy.

6 Likes

The angry grocer rules. A whole movie could be made about him. Oscar O’Shea is the actor. His career is long. Captains Courageous (1937), Angels with Dirty Faces (1938), Love Affair (1939), The Roaring Twenties (1939), Of Mice and Men (1939), Stranger on the Third Floor (1940), Sleepers West (1941), Blossoms in the Dust (1941), The Postman Didn’t Ring (1942). He was typecast playing judges and authority figures.

3 Likes

I watched The Rocketeer last night, and the Nazi heavy Lothar made me do a double take.

I looked it up and Rondo Hatton was long dead by the time this movie was made, but I have to believe the makeup artist was inspired by Rondo.

5 Likes

Yes, the makeup was deliberately based on Hatton. Rocketeer was originally a comic book, and it took a lot of inspiration from B&W era movies and culture. The rocket pack is loosely based on Commando Cody. Jenny is inspired by Bettie Page (and also the artist’s real life girlfriend, who posed for the comic drawings). Lothar was drawn to look like Rondo. So when they made the movie, they kept the look.

7 Likes

To me: This another case where the short outshines/overpowers the main feature. The Chicken of Tomorrow is one of those shorts that’s rather fascinating on its own, but it’s very dated and cheesy. It’s an excellent riff on display here!

As for The Brute Man: It’s riffed very well. But, as others have said above, there is a lot about it that makes me uncomfortable. I like they went “old school” with a 1940s horror noir, though. I’ll give them that.

7 Likes

I have to add: The episode does feature one of my all-time favorite Mike moments!

When he just loses it over that ridiculously crotchety old shopkeeper! It’s so delightful! (plus, I like to think Trace is goading him on with the way he impersonates the shopkeeper too)

This is one of those sequences I like to find whenever I need a laugh or feel a bit down. That’s how much it means to me!

Glad it was The Stinger too!

7 Likes

“Yes, chicken sliced to the width of one electron.”

6 Likes

The old school levity is what leaps at me. This era of experiment is rather rare by this time and the references and culture sampled truly help it shine. My mileage.

4 Likes

What’s so great is that Mike loses it again when he recognizes the shopkeeper in that Diabolik Rough Cut montage!

3 Likes

No fantastical element is required for a slasher. Psycho, Wait Until Dark, the early '70s giallo, Black Christmas, etc., all feature mortal murderers. It was Halloween that popularized that element, though N.B. Mr. Hockey Mask himself, Jason Voorhees is not supernatural until Friday the 13th PART VI. So for more than half of the biggest franchise, the killer was not supernatural.

And even after Halloween, the killer being an ordinary human in a mask (the Scooby Doo influence, if you will) or other disguise predominates, I think. The supernatural element becomes more critical if you need to keep “killing” your slasher in a long-running franchise.

Frankenstein had a blind hermit for a friend, which might have been the inspiration. Also, the trope of the blind man helping the criminal/fugitive goes back to at least the 18th century, Mrs. Radcliffe, or maybe Lewis’ The Monk

4 Likes

We watched that when we spotted it on Disney Plus and when he popped up I was all “hey Creeper”. Then I had to explain who Rondo Hatton was to my wife.

4 Likes

My least favorite of season 7. The short really outshines the movie. The short is brilliant, hilarious, and actually educational. The movie definitely has it’s bright spots. The crotchety old grocer is one of the more memorable characters of any Mst episode! And he’s only in for a couple of minutes! Jane Adams plays a really convincing blind woman. A really decent turn for a cheaply made, cheaply put together movie. She is to be commended. And of course there’s Rondo. It’s easy to feel sorry for this guy who, I believe, got this condition from poisonous gas in the war. It’s easy to think that Hollywood used him for financial gain, but upon seeing the short film about the movie it’s seems he was fairly happy when he died. He was married and of decent financial means. He was paid for these movies and did them willingly.

One more thing; this movie was produced by PRC which was the absolute bottom of the pit of the poverty row studios.

5 Likes

The Frankenstein Monster and the hermit did not have the romantic angle of those other two. At least not if they wanted to avoid attracting the attention of the Hayes Office.

2 Likes

The movie was released by PRC but as Bruce noted in his initial post in this topic:

3 Likes