704. The Incredible Melting Man (1977)

(Done in the format of @BruceLeePullen’s episode threads. Feel free to add this to the list, Bruce!)

In another in a long line of MST3K films getting released by Vinegar Syndrome, THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN is coming to 4K Blu-ray this month!

I admittedly haven’t watched this entire MST3K episode yet. The portions I did watch were memorable. From what I’ve heard, the makeup effects are right up there alongside larva trunk as some of the most gross-out material in MST3K history.

The fact I’ll be receiving this in the mail as a recent VS subscriber makes me want to finally finish the episode. To anyone who has seen the entire riff, feel free to elaborate!

…still can’t believe this is going to be released on 4K??? I don’t know whether to be excited or scream “WTF” to the high heavens.

3 Likes

You’ve never seen The Incredible Melting Man until you’ve seen it through the rings of Saturn!

7 Likes

Take my advice: Put crackers on your grocery list now. OTCHKA!

9 Likes

I like this one. It’s such a good parody of older horror films on its own, even after being edited by the suits to be more straight horror, and the MST3K treatment brings that out even more. Plus it has the Earth vs. Soup getting filmed storyline in it, which also seems to have been a type of therapy for the crew after getting The Movie made.

6 Likes

“♪ Some enchanted evening ~
You may meet a redneck,
You may see a redneck,
Across the Bingo hall ♪”

“I-…hate this wallpaper!”

The old couple and their crippling, fatal citrus addiction.

The special effects

Truly, a glorious episode.

7 Likes

It’s on the list. I’m thankful for the permission. It saved me asking. :wink:

4 Likes

On the bright side, at least I didn’t break my back!

4 Likes

Dammit! I don’t have any more crackers.

You think bread is crackers?

Well it isn’t! Write it on the shopping list.

What kind? I don’t care! Where are my damned crackers?

Oh.

What?

I was distracted by the large area covered in fine polyester slacks.

5 Likes

I LOVE THE HELL OUT OF THIS EPISODE :smiley:

I intend to elaborate more on this, but I had to get that out of my system.

6 Likes

ANYWHO.

Yeah, this is the ugliest, blechiest, grossest, gnarliest episode in the MST3K canon. It’s the trunk scene from Gamera Vs. Jiger but spread out over a whoooooooooooole movie. I get the sense that this came about because Comedy Central neither knew nor cared what the MST3K gang did by this point.

Dr. Ted Nelson is one of my all-time favorite riff targets, hands down. As Nelson, actor Burr DeBenning comes through big-time, which is to say, he doesn’t come through at all. The crackers scene where he diverges from his wife’s conversation about Melto to whine about not having snacks in the house? Pantheon quality. When Crow says “RAGING BULL!”, I damn near lose it.

Then there’s…

mst3k704moonpie

[Ted calls his wife long after the crackers discussion]

Mike: “Any crackers yet?”
Servo: “I swiped a MoonPie and they caught me.”

Ted: “Just a minute and I’ll ask (the doctor and the general if they want to come over for dinner).”
Mike, as flatly as possible: “Hey you wanna eat over too bad you can’t sorry.”

And let’s not get into “HOTCHKA!” If MST3K had a future at Comedy Central past Season Seven, I’d like to think we’d hear that often as a “HI-KEEBA”-esque running gag, because it’s so inexplicable and goofy.

Everything involving the elderly lemon thieves? Priceless. It’s gold riff after gold riff after gold riff, and it’s impossible not to howl laughing at the inanity of it all.

Favorite riffs from that?

Mike: “They were broadminded to cast aliens in these roles.”

Servo: “Did someone switch reels on us?!”

[as this scene goes on for eternity]
Harold: “Helen?”
Helen: “Harold?”
Crow: “WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!!?!”

AND WE DIDN’T EVEN GET INTO MELTO YET

So many great jokes about the indulgent special effects and ickiness of it all:

Mike: “The movie has to mop up after itself now.”

Crow, commenting on all the grossness against a building: “This is what it looks like behind Chili’s.”

God-tier episode. Easily the best of a ridiculously strong Season Seven in my book.

8 Likes

Same here. Goldash beat me to the punch on this one. My favorite of the Season 7 shows. The unclean sweaty nature of Melting (1976) demands you hop into the shower afterwards. The nurse running to save her life, the old couple at night in their car, the title character oozing and deforming into the midnight hours. Imagine this in higher definition. Someone bring a paper bag.

4 Likes

The only thing that hurts this episode a tad in my book are the host segments.

I mean, the gang HAD to exorcise their demons pertaining to the making of the MST3K movie and all the executive obstruction they faced along the way. Hey, quoth Tupac, “I ain’t mad at 'cha.”

But it all feels like so uncharacteristically bitter for this show.

Again, I don’t fault them for doing what they did. Hell, I salute them for doing so. It’s just uncomfortable to see this all come from a place of (deep) hurting. You know? It’s more of a sour observational “hmmm, that’s true” kind of humor as opposed to a “ha ha” gleefully madcap off-the-wall humor. Personally, I hate the idea or the implication of the gang being through any kind of pain.

5 Likes

OH MAN

Yeah, this is one episode that probably shouldn’t be surgically enhanced.

2 Likes

Oh WHY NOT!!! It might FUN!!! Akin to Ghost Peppers for the eyes. :wink:

4 Likes

Hah! :smiley:

Can we Kickstart for a surgically degraded episode that makes the movie murkier and harder to see?

5 Likes

Rick Baker in his element. Has me wishing MST3K might bite off Octaman (1971). The Rifftrax is outstanding but an experiment with skits would be a dream. Baker designed the costume.

4 Likes

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM

4 Likes

“Whoa! Hey! Oh, uh, no relation to Ted Nelson, nope, nope!”

5 Likes

Also, that you quoted only the words “Dr. Ted Nelson” with a response of “BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM” makes me wish I could give this Likes until the heat death of the universe.

God, this episode.

All the dark hilarity of a Union Pacific short spread out over an entire movie. Love it!

4 Likes

Hmm… better get in touch with Crow’s Film Anti-Preservation Society.

4 Likes